What to do in a crisis

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hey fluffymum, that was really interesting and although I knew it already, I was interested particularly with the A&E bit. I recently self harmed a lot, and was stitched up, but nothing was offered in the way of help other than that. I got the impression that I was at the bottom of the queue and they couldn't wait to get rid of me. One nurse said, after the stitches were done, Oh keep it clean for 2 days then put any old plaster on it. I am a trained nurse and I can tell you that is really bad advice. It felt like I was a nuisance and not to be treated the same as others.

I have heard others inA&E who are distressed (curtains are treated as sound proof barriers!) and there is not much help given. I have never heard of a pdoc attending although I guess they must at times. I wonder how much this is translated into actual reality. xx

Fluffymum

Fluffymum

I've been to minor injuries twice, the first time the nurse was lovely and said to come back anytime but that she hopefully wouldn't need to see me, the 2nd time with the same nurse was so unbelievably different I thought she had a twin; she was off with me, only spoke to my husband and treated me like some silly child, she was judging and then I found out she'd told my health visitor which I wouldnt have minded at all as I have nothing to hide with my health or my daughter but she legally is supposed to tell me that she is going to send information to the HV.
I went to a&e with an overdose and very much felt it was the normal routine, no one really spoke to me but it wasnt bad as in judging, they told me they would have to refer to social services as it is routine with overdoses and I was fine about this, social services just phoned to see how we were doing, one doctor was very funny, he was jamacan with a heavy accent and said "awww you have a good boy here why you want to do this to yourself" but it was ok because he obviously didnt really get mental health problems but he was ok about it,he was funny and upbeat, the crisis team came to the hosp for me and a few other people so they must see it all the time and we had a chat then we went home.
I'm sure behind the silence I seemed to receive fromthe nurses they were probably judging but I could have received worse care there, that nurse at minor injuries is the worst, I've also been to her on an unrelated non self harm injury and she didnt even look at it, just said it was fine, was really off, I wouldnt mind so much if she was like that all the time but why was she so good the first time?

Anyway thanks for sharing Calpyso x

amathus

amathus

I have been going through a fairly regular period of self harm over the past nine months unfortunately, I have to say that my local minor injuries have been fantastic with me from the reception staff on the desk through to sister.
I have never been made to feel like a nuisance and have received understanding as well as first class care.

qf.