• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What to do if someone is....

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello everyone,

So I just wanted advice and everyone's opinions on what to do if for example: Someone is talking on a forum/online about ending their life/is suicidal. What measures can I take to help or keep this person(s) safe?

Um recently for me I've had 2 people online say they are going to end their life, etc and on one occasion I made a phone call to 111 because I was that worried/concerned.
I know people on this forum get suicidal, etc and I obviously don't want anything to happen to any of you.

Anyways any advice, etc would be greatly appreciated.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
Unless you know where they live you can only try and get them to get help themselves by getting help from professionals or talk to them long as it is not adversely affecting you too much.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Unless you know where they live you can only try and get them to get help themselves by getting help from professionals or talk to them long as it is not adversely affecting you too much.
Thanks Helena :hug1: haven't spoken to you in ages, hope your well.

L

limichelle32

I agree with above poster! Also you can talk to them they are posting that so they can get help so really all they need is a kind word and reassurance. If they are reaching out on the forums it's a good thing, it means they aren't acting on it!

Lisa

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

This is the only place that people can say they are suicidal and we can't really do much. I think if we start calling 111 or 911 people won't post they're suicidal then they will act on it. All we really can do is hope they get help. As most of the time we don't even know names on here. And where people live.

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Thank you for your input Lisa :hug1:

I guess what if they do act on it and worse case scenario they end their life. I would feel/think that i should of done more to help. But your right, all we can do is talk and help via the forums, etc. I guess as I grow closer to people and they grow closer to me, then this also gives me more options to help? because perhaps by then we would have eachothers facebook contact, also perhaps names and address?

Anyways thanks for the input :)