What to do about my possibly schizophrenic mother

M

maurkay

For a few years now, my mom has had this problem. I'm not even entirely sure it's schizophrenia, but she has exhibited many symptoms linked to the disorder. These include a belief that an ordinary event has special and personal meaning, a belief that thoughts aren't one's own, disorientation, anxiety, feeling detached from self, general discontent, loss of interest or pleasure in activities, elevated mood, hearing voices, depression, fear, and religious delusion. She has described this as being taken over by some force, as if another person lives inside her. This "force" talks to her non-stop, keeping her up at night. She will go three days without even sleeping because of this "force" or "voice." Sometimes it makes her laugh. Other times, she claimed it's called her a "fucking whore" and "fucking bitch" (excuse my language). A couple months ago, she was having these panic episodes that something is poking her on the inside. She compares it to epilepsy; not knowing what this uncontrollable thing might do next. This "voice" or "force" has worsened to the point where she can't do daily things. We've struggled with homelessness throughout my high school years because of it. She is unable to resolve anything or put any focus into other matters.

The thing is, no one would think she has this issue because she is still able to speak well. You wouldn't think she has such an illness because she talks and acts normal. She has tried to tell me continuously that she is not mentally ill, but that she's possessed by some demonic entity. I really don't even know what to think at this point. I just know we need to figure out a solution.

But, she refuses help. She doesn't want to go to the doctor because she believes they'll only prescribe her medications that will just drug her. She doesn't want to be one of those people who end up on tons of meds, nor do I want that for her. But she really needs help, and I don't know what to do. I hate seeing her constantly stressed (because she knows she's supposed to be working and doing things but this "voice" prevents her from doing so), and recently she's been crying a lot, which also really pains me to see. She's been crying because she was abused constantly throughout her life (by her parents and my father), and all the trauma she went through has only now lead her to being stuck with this terrorizing "voice" and us being constantly homeless. And she can't get out of this situation. She can't live like this.

I'm 18 and just graduated high school. I work and I will be paying our rent until I start college. I'll be living on campus. But I don't know where my mom will be. She's my mom. My family. She's all I have, at that. And I can't bear going off to college not knowing where she might be. She needs some housing support, and some support for this illness, but I just don't know what to do about it all. I'm just overwhelmed.

NWiddi

NWiddi

She has described this as being taken over by some force, as if another person lives inside her.
This is what I've learned from my experiences of hearing voices, another person lives inside each and every one of us, two minds occupying the same body and your mothers is a bad one.

They have a connection to the body that our minds don't have so they can effect us physically aswell as mentally, unfortunately they rely on Dopamine to do the things they do so medication would be the best weapon to use against such a voice. You could use anti-psychotics to control her voice or if she's really against that idea then there's a herbal supplement available that will work to a lesser extent called Graviola that I used myself until I got the anti-psychotics that work much better but at the cost of side effects.

Mine used to keep me awake for days and talk non-stop and hurt me physically until I started taking medication, now I can just ignore him completely and he hates it, all he does now is beg me to come off medication and to talk to him again but I won't until we agree to some ground rules on how to behave.

I hope you and your mother find a way to get through this and I wish you both all the best.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

An antipsychotic med might be what could help tame the symptoms. You could try asking your mother if she might try a small dose so there might not be any medication side effects and it might be enough to take the edge off her symptoms to make her life better and more tolerable. Many people take antipsychotics that don't feel drugged up by them. It often helps to clear the mind.

Sammyjames97

Sammyjames97

I've gone through many of these things and some still happen, i understand the medication thing shes talking about. They sometimes affect people bad and do more harm than good, people often can't work on them and put on weight and they make you a zombie. If she doesn't want to take medication and believes she can handle it i would respect her decision. As long as she's not a danger its her choice at the end of the day. I have continued to get better from experiences and beliefs like this but it's taken a long 2 years and it's been hard at times. If you need any help feel free to ask x