• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What therapy is right for me ? (If any)

R

Rh2832

I’ve had some counseling before but felt like the counsellors saw it as quite short term and talked about more surface stuff than deep feelings.
That was when I was struggling with depression quite badly. Now I have mostly good days. But I have been feeling a bit odd lately, not depressed, but struggling with the sadness of the world, and getting obsessive thoughts when hearing about suicides in the news. Although I don’t feel suicidal sometimes I imagine myself very visually doing it. I don’t have any deep trauma, I had a good childhood. So I don’t want to just sit with a therapist who just wants to talk about my past

any ideas?

D

Deleted member 91323

Maybe CBT. It focuses on the thought process. You will be given work to do were you write down a thought and how to think it through. It is focused on methods to change thoughts rather then the cause of them.

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Rh2832,

bpd2020 is right. CBT is a great type of therapy that helps you recognize your thought patterns so can alter them. However, I think you should give therapy another try, if possible. I've had a therapist for over a year now and it's been very beneficial to me.

But I will tell you, if you're not talking, they may guide you in a direction you don't want to go. Maybe you're scared or maybe you just find what they want to discuss irrelevant. Come in with things you want to talk about and let it all out. That way, you move the conversation, not them.

To prepare for my sessions, I write down what I'm feeling beforehand and go over the notes with her. That way, I get to the heart of what matters instead of talking about the past. Through this method, I used the present to figure out my past rather than talking about my past to figure out my present. Seems counterintuitive, but that was the progression for me.

I actually imagined my suicide yesterday and it was very painful. That's definitely something you would want to discuss with another person. My therapist is someone to talk to, that hears me when I feel like my mother doesn't. And that's been invaluable to my self-esteem, my opinions, and my truth.

I hope you find what you need to get better, Rh. I believe in you!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Sorry to hear you've been feeling out of sorts lately, do you recall when or where you were when that feeling began?

I think it's proven that the best predictor of positive outcomes in therapy is the relationship between the counsellor and the client. That relationship ought to be an alliance of mutual respect and caring. Quite often, we must try a few different therapists until we find someone that for whatever reasons we seem to really work well with.

You asked which types of therapy might be useful. It's difficult to suggest one without knowing more about your history and outlook but I want to help if I can.

Cognitive therapies like CBT, DBT and ACT focus on how thoughts, feelings and behavior interrelate; making a change to one of three will affect the other two. Something you should consider with any variant of cognitive therapy is that you'll be asked to do homework, short self-directed therapy work you do on your own in between sessions. These therapies helped me--though I needed more than one pass through because I was struggling so much with symptoms of depression.

You mentioned your thoughts have been a little preoccupied with death lately. I wonder if Existential Therapy might resonate with you? It is part therapy and part philosophy, concerned with finding meaning in one's life by way of coming to terms with the absolute certainty of death. That may sound dour but the theory's outlook on life and humanity is actually incredibly optimistic. Existential therapy emphasizes finding purpose in being authentically yourself and also taking responsibility for one's life.

There are many more types of therapy worth mentioning and all have potential to heal. But again, I think what is more important is to find the right therapist than the right therapy.
I hope this is helpful. Wishing you some peace.