• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What the Government Knows About Suicide and Depression That We Are Not Being Told

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
What the Government Knows About Suicide and Depression That We Are Not Being Told

For nearly two decades, Big Pharma commercials have falsely told Americans that mental illness is associated with a chemical brain imbalance, but the truth is that depression and suicidality are associated with poverty, unemployment, and mass incarceration. And the truth is that American society has now become so especially oppressive for young people that an embarrassingly large number of American teenagers and young adults are depressed and suicidal.

[Rest in Link]

F

firemonkee57

On the other hand it could be argued that depression is more likely to lead to unemployment which can lead to poverty , and social attitudes to the poor and unemployed create pressures that keep the cycle of depression going.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
On the other hand it could be argued that depression is more likely to lead to unemployment which can lead to poverty , and social attitudes to the poor and unemployed create pressures that keep the cycle of depression going.
i think you are always going to go with a reductionistic psychiatric view & primarily blame the brain/mental illness as the primary problem, regardless of any other evidence.

imo there is no either/or - bio/psycho/social/spiritual.

F

firemonkee57

i think you are always going to go with a reductionistic psychiatric view & primarily blame the brain/mental illness as the primary problem, regardless of any other evidence.

imo there is no either/or - bio/psycho/social/spiritual.
I am just offering an alternative possibility that scarcely makes me 'reductionist '. It seems to me, whether you call it a mental illness or not, it's a very circular process involving depression, social pressure and the consequences of that social pressure.
Of course you can't discount social factors and indeed I have never said that you can or should.

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

Not read rest in link so prob shouldnt comment but just wanted to say that ime depression and suicidality does not necessarily go hand in hand with the factors stated

Kerome

Kerome

It's not a natural link to make which makes me curious why exactly they're so certain.

But I have noticed at first hand the effect of powerful expectations, I have a good friend who has been separating from her husband. They were married for 17 years and the husband is a banker, so she has always been used to having plenty of money. Now that they're no longer living together she is having to adjust to a much lower standard of living, and that combined with everything else has made her depressed and suicidal. All her old expectations were removed, and she can't see anything new to progress onto.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It's not a natural link to make which makes me curious why exactly they're so certain.

But I have noticed at first hand the effect of powerful expectations, I have a good friend who has been separating from her husband. They were married for 17 years and the husband is a banker, so she has always been used to having plenty of money. Now that they're no longer living together she is having to adjust to a much lower standard of living, and that combined with everything else has made her depressed and suicidal. All her old expectations were removed, and she can't see anything new to progress onto.
Depression is associated with loss, so in her case it's not necessarily about her standard of living, more that she has lost the lifestyle she is accustomed to.

pepecat

pepecat

I"m not sure we can ever say that 'this' is the cause of depression - be is genetics / biopsychiatry / social / environmental / spiritual / familial, etc etc...... what is a cause for one may well not be for another.

As well as kerome's friend no longer having the financial status she once had, given her and her husband are no longer living together, there's probably (hazarding a guess here) stuff about loss of status and identity as 'married woman', 'so and so's wife' and all that implies - having to go it on her own, be her own person, find out what SHE wants in life.... all that kind of stuff contributing.

I don't think depression is necessarily a result of poverty and social stuff. How many times do you hear the 'What do you have to be depressed about - you've got a good job and a nice family', blah blah......
Depression is not selective - it can hit anyone and everyone, from any walk of life. It's no respector of finances, status, job, relationships......

Poverty and unemployment would be major contributing factor, I would say, but it's not the ONLY one. If we eradicated poverty and unemployment (or at least had far less of it), people would stil be depressed..... and then we'd no doubt be back to the 'brain chemistry' crap.

|||ME|||

|||ME|||

While not disputing the point that experiencing difficulties in your life can lead to exclusion from the opportunity to participate in employment, if you move outside looking at this on an individual level and look instead at the wider level, what you'll see is that when the unemployment rate increases so does the rate of depression.

What this demonstrates to me is that generally when society marginalises and discards people, that creates a perfectly understandable sense of alienation and feeling of worthlessness in people.

As with all the "mental illness" malarkey, what's painfully obvious when you just think about it for a second then gets obscured by the psychiatrisation of those difficulties, and people start talking about chemical imbalances and start locating understandable responses to social problems as the result of some perceived chemical faultiness in the people who bore the arse end of them.

You could write a similar post about nearly every distressing event that could happen in a persons life.

Last edited:
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Many of the people who head up Big Pharma have a 'few' quid in the bank. Strangely enough, so too do those in the upper echelons of government.

Two advantages to blaming depression and suicide on chemical cause, rather than environmental factors like poverty and inequality:

1. Big Pharma make make money from selling a chemical 'cure' - that's another 'few' quid in the bank.

And

2. Governments can seek to avoid, the massive reorganization and redistribution of resources necessary to transform environmental factors like poverty and inequality - hence enabling them to hold onto the 'few' quid they have in the bank.