• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

what techniques have you got for dealing with voices

K

karl7

like do you tell them to talk to you ata certain time.......or what do you do to deal with them

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

Only thing that helps with the voices is medication. But I still do get some voices. Other than that I have no techniques to quiet them down. :hug: :hug:

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I'd love to know! I usually don't cope well when hearing voices.

For me, if I start hearing voices, I try to go to bed as early as I can. Sleep=no voices.

When I used to be able to nap, I'd have a nap and the voices would go away. I don't have the ability to nap any more. :(

wollie

wollie

Hi Pastel

I have a few suggestions, Go for a long walk, play your favorite music through head phones, take up a hobby that intereste you, vigorous exersize of any type, ignore your voices as much as possible, don't talk back to them

All the best wooie.

N

natalie

Yep, I'll 2nd and agree.

I have always always used the technique of listening to music through head phones. And also, take suitable medication and at the correct dose level, important.

Also, i workout as much as possible, within moderation, on a regular basis to my fitness dvds.

I had a heard voice myself, mind you I made the big mistake, evulated it, however, it worked, the voice had dissappeared like majic. Otherwise, it's music listening, me.

Have a hopeful good weekend all,

Best regards all.

Natalie.

I

ink

People already said it but exercise helps, sleeping (sometimes they are even gone when I wake), music, reading... distraction generally and being around other people.

C

Cocoa

I imagine myself taking a step forward and moving away from the voices, also imagine I have a volume control that I can turn them down

EdEd

EdEd

I've tried the volume control , and mute button thoughts. Even though I know what it is that's doing this to me , no luck on those two.. then I thought of thought patterns around the voices subject.. like carving my own path out.. Not that any voice would want to communicate to me.. they say potatoes I think of a person..ect. Made my own web that i think in..

EdEd

EdEd

Grouping the same named people together in my head , grouping people who have things alike to one another like hair color , ect.. pretty much just condensed my memory and think of things like visuals..without actually seeing the visuals..

OCDguy

OCDguy

When I hear unhelpful voices, I try and use the virtual on/off or mute switch...

EdEd

EdEd

Right , that works too.. I've tried that before.

Jam1990

Jam1990

I hear negative voices from time to time. Sometimes they are so loud that it's hard to tell if it's my own thoughts, or a separate entity telling me what a piece of shit I am. A few years ago these voices used to be way worse and more frequent, but I've gotten rid of certain stressors since then and that has helped tremendously for quieting down negative voices. I currently take risperidone (2 mg) for paranoia and anxiety, but nothing specifically for voices or auditory hallucinations. My coping method has just been to quiet my life down and try to live as simply as possible.

OCDguy

OCDguy

In the interest of helping others, are you able to be more specific as to what stressors etc. you have removed from your life without giving your identity away or revealing personal information about yourself :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LORD BURT Schizophrenia Forum 41
Lone_wanderer Schizophrenia Forum 2