• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

What should I have done?

P

P_e_r_s_o_n

Basically there’s an exam today, but I’m so anxious about it and really not ready for it. In the same day I also have a meeting where I have to talk to people I don’t know, and have to help set up an event with even more people and I was just getting more and more anxious. At the same time I’m ill and with that on top of all the other stuff I wouldn’t be able to concentrate and I was just so stressed so I decided to stay home.

Now I’m really regretting it though. My friend was gonna be at the event too, and he’s really mad at me for not going. I’m almost certain he thinks I’m faking my illness. I am ill, but that’s not the reason I stayed home; I just felt really anxious and stressed, but now I’m anxious about what he thinks of me and I feel like everyone’s gonna hate me and think I’m faking it so now I feel even worse.

I also just feel bad for missing school. I don’t usually have time off so when I do I feel weird about it.

Was it wrong of me to stay home? Am I just overreacting and should have gone in? What should I have done?

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Dear Person, You yourself have discovered that you traded in one anxiety for another by catering to FEAR. I have lost years of my life catering to FEAR. I don't recommend it.

Sammyjames97

Sammyjames97

Why would they hate you for not going in? If I were you I would just be honest with your friend and tell him you were ill but also stressed about the exam so you took the day off. If they are a true friend they will understand. Don't let the fear rob you of opportunities and try to think what is the worst thing that will happen in these scary situations that really shouldn't be so scary at all

G

Griff

Hey Person

I just wanna say that I had a somewhat similar experience to you not too long ago so I can somewhat relate to your experience. I think what would help is to maybe seek some reassurance from your friend who went to this event and just be honest and upfront with them. Not only would it help to have someone by your side to support you, but also instead of assuming the worst will happen and accepting that as truth, try going into a social situation with a simple breakdown or plan as to how you can negotiate it. That might remove some of the fear and uncertainty from the situation you find yourself in.