• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What should i do?

Sloshiceangel

Sloshiceangel

I don’t know if this is the right place to post my problems here, but now i do it anyway.

So i got a problem in my life which i want to share, the backstory is pretty long but i make it as short as possible.

So a year ago my sister got epilepsy, she got her seizures 2 times before she got her medicine. In those 2 times she's had her seizures, i've been very affected by it. I couldn’t sleep or eat, and there were 2 months where my mental health became so bad that i decided to stay home from work. I’m doing better now, but i still want to strengthen my mental health and become more positive but it’s difficult.

I know that my sister has got her medicine and she hasn’t got any seizures for a half year now. But i’m still worried of her, and still have that fear of if she’s getting her seizures again and if she can live by herself.

I don’t want my mental health to go down again, but at the same time i don’t want to stress out my sister or my parents. They have been affected by it as well.

I have got some help from a psychologist and her advices has also helped me a lot in many things, no doubt about that.

But i feel like i need some more advice for helping me to get a strong loving relationship with my sister again. I love her so much and i care about her.

How can i strengthen my mental health even more, become more happier and positive, not stressing my sister or my parents out and enjoy the things i did before with my sister and not thinking so much of her epilepsy?

It’s waste of time to be negative i know, but it’s hard for me since i i have mental health issues(i don’t know if i have PTSD or just anxiety, it’s not general anxiety disorder) and especially during the covid-19 pandemic dealing with covid-19 fatigue.

Do you have any advices?

E

EclipticNight

I may be able to help but it sounds negative, it's not but it sounds it. So I started getting seizures last year, had two and got on meds same as your sister. I'm 8 month in now and had auras but no seizure.

Ok so here is what sounds bad. Consider your life a moment. How many ways can you die in one day? Driving, shootings, crazy workers going postal, sudden health issue, airplane crash, fire etc. You dodge death a thousand times a day. We all do. The thing is we know it subconsciously so we ignore it. If her seizures are like mine (grand mal) and she was as out of breath as me she may have come close. I didn't breath for a long time and both times I was alone.

So how is this helpful? It's just another dodge for her. Sometimes I wonder if I'll have one but most of the time I don't think about it. It's no different then wondering if a car will hit me. She is on medication that seems to be working. Just think of it as another unexpected event. If you worry about her all the time you wont live and be part of her life. We all know death can just hit anytime so try not to worry about what might happen and enjoy the time you have while nothing is happening. Death is not what you fear, its loss. She is not lost so go and be with her and enjoy your lives.

If your like me and my sister you have a running bet to see who outlives whom.

Sloshiceangel

Sloshiceangel

I may be able to help but it sounds negative, it's not but it sounds it. So I started getting seizures last year, had two and got on meds same as your sister. I'm 8 month in now and had auras but no seizure.

Ok so here is what sounds bad. Consider your life a moment. How many ways can you die in one day? Driving, shootings, crazy workers going postal, sudden health issue, airplane crash, fire etc. You dodge death a thousand times a day. We all do. The thing is we know it subconsciously so we ignore it. If her seizures are like mine (grand mal) and she was as out of breath as me she may have come close. I didn't breath for a long time and both times I was alone.

So how is this helpful? It's just another dodge for her. Sometimes I wonder if I'll have one but most of the time I don't think about it. It's no different then wondering if a car will hit me. She is on medication that seems to be working. Just think of it as another unexpected event. If you worry about her all the time you wont live and be part of her life. We all know death can just hit anytime so try not to worry about what might happen and enjoy the time you have while nothing is happening. Death is not what you fear, its loss. She is not lost so go and be with her and enjoy your lives.

If your like me and my sister you have a running bet to see who outlives whom.
I’ve never thought of that, i wanna try follow your advice.