• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What schizophrenia actually is?

S

schizopteron

Schizophrenia is most propably caused by many different organisms that infect your brain, there's not a single reason. Sometimes its cause is syphilis, sometimes another sphirochete (borreliosis), sometimes apicomplexan parasites related to malaria (toxoplasma gondii) or propably even some viruses or organisms not known to cause any disease. I'm heavily for toxoplasma being the main reason, since the parasite alters your brain chemical levels, dopamine and serotonine. Not many other organisms can do that. That is, if the theory about schizophrenic behaviour being caused by wrong levels of dopamine and or serotonine. But in any case it's 100% fact that toxoplasma alters them. The neuroleptics are entirely wrong approach on getting of from the schizophrenia symptoms. Well maybe they treat some symptoms but thats not cure. We should concentrate on working on medicine that eradicates toxoplasma. It's quite difficult to do. There is no cure at the moment, but some malaria medicines can kill most of the parasites in the brain and sending the rest temporarily to a kind of hibernation.

A

Apotheosis

It may have some biological aspects? - the thing is no one knows.

S

schizopteron

The thing is, some medications like haloperidol work greatly in reducing the symptoms of schizophrenia because it also happens to inhibit cell growth of apicomplexan parasites and not suprisingly it crosses the blood brain barrier easily reaching the parasites.

A

Apotheosis

If it works for you; & you caught schizophrenia off the cat; then all's well & good.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Am i right schitzoprenia is caused by little bugs in fact i could contaminate someone, unclean unclean

I

IntrospectionFtw!

No one knows what it is or how it's caused i've sat and pondered this many nights , i mean what kind of biological illness manifests as the most terrifing experience known to man you spend your whole life tormented by evil voices and paranoid i mean wtf?, what kind of illness is that...it's a cruel joke. also haloperidol works good because it's potent.

Last edited:
W

wff

I have the idea that all mental illness results from the human becoming to know of the world. Terrible things happen in the world and even if it's 10,000 miles away, once one knows about it (via TV, or www, or magazine, or from talk of another) it becomes in our head.

Of course everyone similarly sees: some can cope, some can't.

A

Apotheosis

No one knows what it is or how it's caused i've sat and pondered this many nights..........
I have pondered these things deeply too. IMO - & I'm talking from my experience, knowledge, perspective & understandings -

IMO Schizophrenia is a complex of multiple causes existing on a spectrum with 'normal' thought/behaviour. That the primary cause is psychogenic (or as having a psychological basis) in nature; in turn triggered by aspects in the mind & life of the pre-psychotic personality. I'd say that trauma plays a big part in that; as well as many environmental concerns - psychological & social concerns/inter-personal relationships/upbringing/experiences/diet/addiction issues - in fact; any & all environmental condition & concerns that impact the functioning of the brain/mind.

As for pin pointing a specific cause - no one knows. I do think that things are very individual, & specifics varies from person to person.

Here is a list (far from exhaustive) of the Presumed Causes of Schizophrenia and Psychosis -

http://spiritualrecoveries.blogspot.com/2007/02/presumed-causes-of-schizophrenia-and.html

from above Link said:
# It is interesting to begin gathering up the "presumed causes" in one place. Having done so we can begin to break these "presumed causes" down into a few subsets...

# Nutritional: Milk; Lack of Sunlight/Vitamin D; Niacin Deficiency; Caffeine; Lack of Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids; Gluten Intolerance

# Psychosocial: Trauma; Stress; Social Environment; Attempt at Self-Healing; Cultural Memes & Mutations; Double-Bind Theory & The Family; Ego Collapse; Repressed Bisexuality

# Biomedical: Dopamine Dysfunction; Genetics; Blood Type

# External Cause: Cat Poop; Marijuana; Neuroleptics; Cough Syrup; Qigong; Subliminal Peripheral Vision; Brain Trauma; Tetrachloroethylene Exposure; Lyme Disease; Mercury Fillings

# Psychospiritual: Demon Possession; Shamanic Calling; Ego Death; Kundalini; Individuation/Transpersonal Crisis

Based on what we each know of our personal histories, we can then begin to identify which subset and therefore, which form of treatment may best aid us in recovering on an individual basis. For instance, in my own case, psychosocial and psychospiritual factors are the most significant "causes". Is it any wonder then that I responded best to "talk therapy" and the insights and spiritual connection offered by "depth psychology"?

It's worth drawing attention to these entries as well:
Dr. Jaakko Seikkula: Dialogue is the Change

Dr. John Weir Perry & Diabasis

In my own case too - I would cite 'Psychological', psychosocial and psychospiritual factors as being the primary causes to my condition.

A

Apotheosis

I have the idea that all mental illness results from the human becoming to know of the world. Terrible things happen in the world and even if it's 10,000 miles away, once one knows about it (via TV, or www, or magazine, or from talk of another) it becomes in our head.

Of course everyone similarly sees: some can cope, some can't.
I agree - the main causes are, imo - Environmental & Psychological.

S

schizopteron

IMO, it's actually easier to think "mental illnesses" are caused by pathogenic agents instead of something spiritual. There is a biological reason for everything happening inside the brain.

A

Apotheosis

IMO, it's actually easier to think "mental illnesses" are caused by pathogenic agents instead of something spiritual. There is a biological reason for everything happening inside the brain.
It is certainly easier to think that way - & of course everything can be reduced to biology. But that does not explain cause; nor the complex interactions of the brain with environment & the complex relationship between psychology & brain function.

A

Apotheosis

To Add -

As per the replies - this subject is very far from a choice between the causes of schizophrenia being possible pathogenic agents, or something spiritual (both of which are unproven, as are all the current theories on the causes of schizophrenia).

I would think; given the gamut of theories on possible cause; that the aetiology of schizophrenia is very far from an either/or explanation or a singular one; but rather is a complex with many influencing factors; & no doubt incorporating different aetiology in different individual cases. Many factors are well known in what exasperates MH conditions; & the many things that effect the prognosis of a MH condition. E.g Stress & Trauma.

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

One of the great problems with using the term schizophrenia as a supposedly valid medical term & diagnosis is the fact that the aetiology is simply not known. This raises the very important question as to the validity of such a label; & of using such a term in the first place.

http://www.psychminded.co.uk/news/news2006/oct06/Abolish.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

[I would have kept these replies to one post - but kept wanting to add a point & the 'edit time' kept expiring]

Last edited:
S

schizopteron

One of the great problems with using the term schizophrenia as a supposedly valid medical term & diagnosis is the fact that the aetiology is simply not known. This raises the very important question as to the validity of such a label; & of using such a term in the first place.

http://www.psychminded.co.uk/news/news2006/oct06/Abolish.htm

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ca...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

[I would have kept these replies to one post - but kept wanting to add a point & the 'edit time' kept expiring]
Yes, schizophrenia is certainly not a valid diagnosis and no two patients are the same. This should be changed. It is also wrong to think that schizophrenic couldn't get completely healthy after single psychosis.
I think it's wrong to prescribe antipsychotics "just in case" for someone who has experienced psychosis for only once. The cause of it could have been anything. But still that kind of person could get a schizophrenia diagnosis which is permanent on his records.
This is why it's so important to find out what pathogens cause the same symptoms as "schizophrenia" so that less people are wrongly labelled mentally ill.

A

Apotheosis

This is why it's so important to find out what pathogens cause the same symptoms as "schizophrenia" so that less people are wrongly labelled mentally ill.
So it isn't schizophrenia if these 'conditions' are caused by pathogenic agents? & different things are happening with different people labelled with the condition? I am all for tailored, specific, multi-faceted & comprehensive approaches; that address the multiple, & complex needs & aspects to MH conditions. Can I ask - so it isn't 'mental illness' if the condition is caused by pathogens? What is it then if the symptomatology is the same as someone experiencing these things initiated by another possible cause? Some would argue that the term 'mental illness' in regards to these conditions & experiences is an assumption that is on shaky ground to begin with - without even knowing (& whatever) the definite aetiology/cause.

So then; we are back at the beginning - What then is schizophrenia? No one knows what causes schizophrenia; & the term schizophrenia is an Umbrella term that has no proven or definite aetiology; & people labelled with such could well all be suffering with conditions caused by separate underlying factors?

So what is the best way forward? Where do we go?

As far as I'm concerned; the main problem, & always has been, is the assumption that schizophrenia is primarily caused by & is a pathological brain condition. The solution I see is to move away from such notions as sole theorised cause - & no less than the abolishing of orthodox psychiatry & the reliance on the dominant bio-medical perspective in relationship to these conditions.

Last edited: