• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What prevention "tools" are you going to use tomorrow or now to help yourself not to fall deeper into depression (useful "tools" used yesterday)?

Blooming

Blooming

We have to turn to Australia to find a really good lecture about how to build recovery from depression and how to prevent depression. I'm sure there are many good one's in UK as well, but I found this lecture in Australia. I was sitting here and googeling depression when I found a video about that topic by Dr. Yapko. I have read a book by him that has been one of the most valuable investments in my life.

I felt in really bad mood when I started to view the video. One hour later I feel hopeful. ☺ My idea is that if we can share coping tools with each other, we help each other.

If you are afraid to not succeed tomorrow, post your plan for prevention for tomorrow. If you had a good idea yesterday, post it here. If you are in a crisis now and remember a coping strategy that works for you, post it here in case somebody else find it helpful as well.

"The goal is not to cure depression. The goal is to manage your moods."
Michael Yapko

Book:
"Keys to Unlocking Depression: An Internationally Known Depression Expert Tells You What You Need to Know to Overcome Depression" (2016) by PhD Michael D. Yapko

JessisMe

JessisMe

We have to turn to Australia to find a really good lecture about how to build recovery from depression and how to prevent depression. I'm sure there are many good one's in UK as well, but I found this lecture in Australia. I was sitting here and googeling depression when I found a video about that topic by Dr. Yapko. I have read a book by him that has been one of the most valuable investments in my life.

I felt in really bad mood when I started to view the video. One hour later I feel hopeful. ☺ My idea is that if we can share coping tools with each other, we help each other.

If you are afraid to not succeed tomorrow, post your plan for prevention for tomorrow. If you had a good idea yesterday, post it here. If you are in a crisis now and remember a coping strategy that works for you, post it here in case somebody else find it helpful as well.

"The goal is not to cure depression. The goal is to manage your moods."
Michael Yapko

Book:
"Keys to Unlocking Depression: An Internationally Known Depression Expert Tells You What You Need to Know to Overcome Depression" (2016) by PhD Michael D. Yapko
I exercised yesterday and it seemed like it helped.
My mood is a bit lighter this morning.

Blooming

Blooming

My mood is not the best today even if I have my good moments. I think I am standing on a spot where I either can become more depressed or prevent myself from falling deeper into it. To prevent an eventually worsening of depression I will try this:

* Make a milk-soup with raisins (it makes me more calm).
* Take a shower
* Make a structured and detailed list for what to do until bedtime.

To continue the preventing tomorrow, I will make a structured plan for tomorrow as well with focus on getting up early, learn from one of Yapko's books, do my mindfulness exercises, take a walk, eat well (four meals), drink enough water and go to bed at a decent time.

Faith198

Faith198

My mood is not the best today even if I have my good moments. I think I am standing on a spot where I either can become more depressed or prevent myself from falling deeper into it. To prevent an eventually worsening of depression I will try this:

* Make a milk-soup with raisins (it makes me more calm).
* Take a shower
* Make a structured and detailed list for what to do until bedtime.

To continue the preventing tomorrow, I will make a structured plan for tomorrow as well with focus on getting up early, learn from one of Yapko's books, do my mindfulness exercises, take a walk, eat well (four meals), drink enough water and go to bed at a decent time.
yes I find taking a shower+using my favorite scented shower gel, exercising, and making a list of things I would like to check off for the day is helpful. I like a lot of aromatherapy stuff and I notice that helps. I think of this as my self care routine

Blooming

Blooming

Today I found it helpful to relax when I should have been in activity. I was so tired after a morning walk outside that I felt I needed to take a break for one hour instead of half an hour as I had planned. I have a tendency to overthink and such ovethinking can make me more depressed if it is not stopped in some way or other.

I am sure people reading here will not think it was wrong of me to relax for more time then I had planned in advance. Those who are caught in the "overthink-trap" will probably understand what I mean. So my "tools" here was go on with the activities I planned yesterday, as if it didn't matter that I needed the longer break (no self-blame) and to give myself positive affirmation for being able to not over-think.

Blooming

Blooming

By the way: rumination is a much better word the the word "overthink". :)

wollie

wollie

The only thing that helps me is my 2 hr walk with my PA, I can't wait to get back to my charity work which also helps, right now I'm grinding my teeth and can't keep my legs still, Im just so tense.

Blooming

Blooming

The only thing that helps me is my 2 hr walk with my PA, I can't wait to get back to my charity work which also helps, right now I'm grinding my teeth and can't keep my legs still, Im just so tense.
Hope you become better soon! The corona crisis robs us of natural social contacts. I miss the people I met at the training center. I walk alone when out. I have groceries brought to my home and miss to visit the grocery shop ... I have had no visitors in this corona time, nor have I been invited to others. I have not been out to watch a movie, no visits at restaurants. I work from home alone ... But I don't have restless legs, so all in all, perhaps I am lucky. My meds work well and I sleep well.

AnnN

AnnN

I take too many activities and no one of them I can do it. I'm under lot of pressure.
It's very anointing. A don't have straight to do all of that. And I'm afraid I m starting to scare from people more and more.

N

natalie

Hi Blooming,

I don't have depression, thankfully, however to prevent my s tress levels, rapidly increasing without me knowing, I always always do listen to musicals, and music, and knit, and also, I workouit to my fitness dvds, and when able, regarding what with the lockdown, in London, I like to attend fitnes dance classes in North London.

I am in a posiiton whereby i can't work part or full time, so I can listen to musicals and music, virtually all day, t hese days, from in the afternoon, and during evening times.

Best Wishes.

Natalie

North London, UK.

Blooming

Blooming

I take too many activities and no one of them I can do it. I'm under lot of pressure.
It's very anointing. A don't have straight to do all of that. And I'm afraid I m starting to scare from people more and more.
:hug:
AnnN, I hope you will be able to pick out some all the things you have taken upon yourself and not do more a day than you can manage.

To be satisifed with what I am able to do, instead of feeling less good because of all I cannot do, is one of the tools I am working with.

Blooming

Blooming

Hi Blooming,

I don't have depression, thankfully, however to prevent my s tress levels, rapidly increasing without me knowing, I always always do listen to musicals, and music, and knit, and also, I workouit to my fitness dvds, and when able, regarding what with the lockdown, in London, I like to attend fitnes dance classes in North London.

I am in a posiiton whereby i can't work part or full time, so I can listen to musicals and music, virtually all day, t hese days, from in the afternoon, and during evening times.

Best Wishes.

Natalie

North London, UK.
I am so glad that you have found something that works for you, Natalie! I have "rumination-tendencies" so one of my most needed tools is to be able to shift focus form those thoughts to something else and then stay in the here and now.

Good wishes back to you! 🌹