• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What personally causes your mania?

• Thread starter TheHeartHasAVoice
  • Start date
Zana

Zana

Stress and nothing...possibly being off of my meds. By nothing I mean that mania can just happen to me out of nowhere. It doesn’t take a special kind of event or happening for mania to happen. Is anyone else this way?
My understanding of BP is that the drastic mood swings occur on an ongoing basis but that certain occurences can act as triggers or smoking guns, and additionally there are warning signs that we're heading into hypo/mania.

Of course there are a lot of variables person to person and I could be totally wrong, but I tend to think about it as if the mania is coming at some point whatever happens, and we navigate a minefield of potential triggers along the way that could prompt an episode sooner than it would happen on it's own.

Are there any ultra rapid cyclers in this thread? I wonder what your experiences are and if you can notice triggers day to day and how much you can mitigate hypo/mania coming?

K

keith74

My wife is trigger mostly by stress (mostly health/work/study related) and anxiety (which is caused by stress I supposed). Things that make her more vulnerable to getting triggered is lack of sleep and high (negative) emotions (like intense emotional family drama).

Wishbone

Wishbone

When do episodes tend to happen for you guys, any identifiable pattern (I know we have one seasonal shout from H), or just random?

G

Galaxy

I think mine are likely to occur in a pattern (maybe due to the seasons?) but stress and really nice things (eg new relationship) can trigger a sudden swing into mania

C

Clearmind

Hormone shifts, alcohol, high emotional situations, socializing in a party atmosphere, and sometimes it just hits me. It can be hard to distinguish between what triggered the mania and what was the mania. My mania moves quickly into psychosis and it can be hard to catch before it gets there. I’m currently on meds and that took a year to come to a good place after my last hospitalization.

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

For me medication helped my mania. It pushed it off and helped me feel better but the physical side affects took longer. I wasted a lot of time and money on doctors visits to help me with the physical side effects and I still wish I was able to stay on some of the psychiatric drugs they prescribed but I moved forward and stopped all anti aniexty medications... I do feel depressed now. Lonely depressed sad but no longer manic. So I didn’t need to continue anti anxiety medications instead I could hopefully focus on the schizophrenia with other medications

I have now been mania free for about three months and feel alright. Im slowly getting the feeling in my body back from years of manic episodes, feeling like I couldn’t sit, going crazy over car noises ect ect

I hope it lasts for awhile and I end up with little depression...

🔹