• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

what other catagory?

I

ilmd

I am trying to learn about what my daughter (adult) has so I can understand better.
She has had severe trichotillomania- eyelashes for many years. When I read about it, it fits into the OCD group- but I don't see anything that would make me think OCD, such as handwashing or any repetative behavior. She lies, tells half-truths, denies what she has done, is volitile, and blames me for absolutely everything you could possibly imagine. She is unbelievably manipulative, gets into fights with me constantly. I am at my wits end. It is very much like living with a severe alcoholic.
I have gone to county therapy, and will continue when there is an opening. In the meantime, what other diagnosis should I learn about. TY

keepsafe

keepsafe

:welcome: to the forum - I don;tknow enough about this condition and no one here can diagnose, but what about trying your doctor?

KS

I

ilmd

As I mentioned I think- I am waiting for an opening so I can discuss this and learn. Right now I do not have a doc to discuss with. I only have Medicare, which does not cover mental health. I am trying to do as much as I can with whatever help I can find. TY

C

Contramike

Just observing...

I'm seeing a lot of things that can point to depression more than OCD.
The hair pulling could be a quiet cry for help...that actually happened to me in grade school. No one would listen to plees for help, so I got their attention by pulling eyelashes out.
The compulsive lying and fighting could be a sign of the stress and mood placed on her.
If this is true, [all of my post here is theoretical] then an assumption might be made that she is going through a very hard time and may not understand why, hence, lashing out in fights, etc.

Just a thought.

I

ilmd

smith and contra... Yep- I have been searching online, as well as going to NAMI Family meetings.
contra... she may be under stress now, but why the long history of lying/trich? The raging is getting worse.

C

Contramike

I have a friend...
I have known him longer than any other person outside of my family. He has always been a compulsive liar. That never changed. But; over the years; He would almost all-of-a-sudden, for no reason, lash out at people - for saying the most meaningless things.
I eventually realized that these seemingly meaninglings things were actually, well, don't know how to put it exactly, but - These things I were saying meant something to him in his reallity that he created for himself through compulsively living a lie. It's enough trouble living hundreds of realities at once that even when someone wants to help you, it can feel like they're trying to smash down one of your walls (mentally).
What I can surmise [theoretically], is that she is enduring an incredible amount of stress (more than you or I could ever imagine), and this stress is a kind of stress that only she knows how to take care of (You might not be able to help with the skills you have now. I'll help you all I can, but a councellor or cogniive therapist would help you far more - I'll see if I can find some resources for you).
Another branch I might try looking, if you want a more accurate diagnosis
would be personality disorders, but I don't know nearly enough to make a judgment call there. If you do look in to that, don't go with the first daignosis that fits. Look at all of them before deciding.

I'll try to get back with you soon. Hang in there!

C

Contramike

What I see as the most troubling issue in this case is the constant raging and compulsive lying. That could be linked to many things, but it is probably the *Cause* of many of the other problems. ie- get the raging and compulsive lying under control (easier said than done) and the other problems will most likely fix themselves. As for getting an accurate diagnosis, I don't think that's going to help you at this point. You know whats wrong: Raging, Fighting, Trichotillomania, cumpulsive lying. A diagnosis (such as OCD) just lumps you in to a huge catagory of people. It's better to know the actual symtoms, which you do, so you know what to work on.

Back to the point:
The best method of treatment I can suggest is to take these symptoms (not a diagnosis) to a psychotherapist and let him/her make the diagnosis. Then you can make a detailed plan on how to resolve the most troubling issues most efficiently. Psychotherapists do their jobs well! Give them time.

Hope this helps.

Any thoughts?

S

Sarey

Tritch is characterized by anxiety if one does not fulfill this compulsion to pull their hair.
This is similar to OCD as you get anxious if you do not fulfill a compulsion.