• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What mental health condition do I have

D

dug89

I daydream all the time. Even when I am happy I'll daydream. When I'm feeling low, I get bad negative thoughts and I can't get them out of my head. Sometimes I would make faces in attempt to block them. I can't stop negative bad thoughts. These negative thoughts are events that has happened to me. Example, if I accidentally unplug the speakers and music starts playing out really loud, I would get negatives thoughts of me being yelled it by my parents. Another example is when I get messages on Facebook or a text and the app makes a "bing" noise. There was this time I was yelled at by my teacher at university for texting in class. So now every time I get a message or a text and my iPhone makes a "bing" sound I get negatives thoughts of me being yelled out by my teachers. Result of this, I would make cringe faces. I also turned off all the my notifications on iPhone.

I have a hard time focusing on tasks, even if I enjoy them. Even when I am doing exercises like running, I get negatives thoughts in my head of random events and I can't control them. The thoughts interfere me from completing the exercise .

But regardless of my daydream, I do make faces even if I am daydreaming about a happy thought.

Could this be OCD? I heard about maladaptive daydreaming. Any thoughts?

B

Breathless

"When I'm feeling low, I get bad negative thoughts..." Sounds like mild to moderate depression right there (if your really need a label). You can't and never will be able to stop negative thoughts from occurring, its just not doable. What you can do is listen to those thoughts, label them as negative thoughts and practise letting them go. Techniques like writing them down on paper and burning the paper can be symbolic of the action of 'letting go'. Lots of stuff you an do that can help

D

dug89

I don't see how it could be depression that causing me to daydream. Like I said, I daydream all the time. I cannot stop. I wanted to know what is causing me to daydream. I think it's OCD, but I'm not sure n

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I dont have ocd and I'm a day dreamer!! Depression, anger, anxieties are my things I think..... Depression certainly causes a lack of concentration x

D

dug89

The daydreams are like obsession or like an addiction. I have no control over it. Im not depressed 24/7. Im not even depressed. I just daydream and have a really hard time getting anything done.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
It feels like to me and of course this is just my opinion that you have some unresolved memories.

N

notrealname

I don't see how it could be depression that causing me to daydream. Like I said, I daydream all the time. I cannot stop. I wanted to know what is causing me to daydream. I think it's OCD, but I'm not sure n
I also daydream compulsively, fail to do anything because of it, get annoyed at it because it feels out of control, and don't tend to feel extreme emotion. I've been like that since I can remember. If it is disrupting your life or causing you to isolate/miss time/find it difficult to function then it is sometimes an escape mechanism - a way of leaving behind an otherwise painful existence. That's probably why you don't feel extreme emotion (depression).

The negative thought cycles you describe are called rumination. I'm not sure whether I would really give what you describe a mental health diagnosis - well, I can't anyway seeing as I am not qualified - but you haven't said anything that sounds like OCD. If I had to take a punt I would also say depression or anxiety (either of which can cause excessive rumination and daydreaming). All of the negative thoughts you describe are shame-based (feeling bad about yourself or something you have done), which suggests low-self esteem.

I would recommend exactly what the last poster said: learn to recognise the pattern (which you already have - well done!) and then to let go of the thoughts and focus on the moment.

Meditation/mindfulness practice is very good for this. Good luck.