What medication is used to treat people with BPD?

E

EstherRose94

I can relate to the trying so many meds and combinations of meds over the years! I just feel like I’m going round and round in circles with it all.

I’ve been researching and I’m considering asking to try something along the lines of Ritalin to try and slow my mind and it’s processes down slightly. To see if it may help. I have a friend who has recently been put onto it and she feels it’s a game changer. I mean we don’t have the same illness but we do have a lot of the same issues as such and the things that the meds have helped with are the issues that I have. Got to be worth a shot at this point I guess right?!

I’m also currently going through diagnosis for either Rheumatoid Arthritis or Fibromyalgia. They’re not sure which it is yet as my mother has the arthritis. I just can’t seem to get any sleep or rest from my mind. I actually feel like I’m going crazy! Thanks for the info on your meds though! Guess I just like to know I’m not the only one who’s struggled with finding the right balance of things. Struggling hard lately 😞
Apparently typical antidepressants can help arthritis sometimes too so you might be able to find something that helps both. Just a random fact I find interesting.

GlitterAndTwisted

GlitterAndTwisted

Apparently typical antidepressants can help arthritis sometimes too so you might be able to find something that helps both. Just a random fact I find interesting.
Yes, this is true, they do! I’ve been on said medications for both reasons but they don’t help either unfortunately. I’ve worked in pharmacy so tend to be pretty clued up on a range of medications, which you’d think would be hugely helpful 😂 but it just seems I can’t find what works for me! Which is so frustrating. Maybe one day hey!

Thank you though, I appreciate your words ✊🏻

M

msophie

The first line of treatment is therapy e.g. DBT or MBT. However, medication can help alongside therapy. I am on sertraline and lamotrigine (the latter being a mood stabiliser) and I feel like the combination is working for me. I also know people who are on antipsychotics, anti-anxiety medication etc.