What medication are you on?

L

Leahhere90

Hi, I have severe anxiety the past few weeks and have gone back on to my medication. Paroxetine 20mg. It worked for me last time and I felt amazing after a short time on it.
But now I feel like I’m back to square one and wish I never came off the medication.
Is anyone else starting out on medication? Would be nice to follow other peoples journeys as starting meds is hard

G

gam9147

Yes it is, and it takes some time for medicines to work ususally. Hoepfully the doctor told you that. Any particular reason you stopped before? Why not go back on paroxetine if it helped you?

L

linus

I take paroxetine in the morning and cinolazepam before going to bed. I am comfortable with this mix, but in 1 month I'll stop the second one and go with paroxetine for at least 4 more months. I used to have severe anxiety because of a crazy period that we are passing through with my son, but these meds certainly helped me to be present for him.

L

Leahhere90

I take paroxetine in the morning and cinolazepam before going to bed. I am comfortable with this mix, but in 1 month I'll stop the second one and go with paroxetine for at least 4 more months. I used to have severe anxiety because of a crazy period that we are passing through with my son, but these meds certainly helped me to be present for him.
Thats good to know thank you

jackolantern

jackolantern

Aripiprazole for psychosis and promethazine for sleeping.

L

Leahhere90

Yes it is, and it takes some time for medicines to work ususally. Hoepfully the doctor told you that. Any particular reason you stopped before? Why not go back on paroxetine if it helped you?
I stupidly stopped when I felt better. Yes 4-6 weeks usually but this medicine started working for me within a week last time. I’ve been back on it for 4 days now so not very long

G

gam9147

I'm really glad to hear that it worked for you relatively quickly last time, that's great news!

Paroxetine is an SSRI. I'm not a medical guy, but most if not all SSRIs take 4-6 week's to *start* working, but they can take a full 6 months+ to have full effects.

The best thing to do is to be on medication and then have some cognitive behavioral or other type of therapy to work on the underlying causes of anxiety/depression (presumably anxiety if your posting on this forumn). After you've done therapy for some period of time you might then come off the medicines.

But otherwise think of this as you would any other medical issue. Say you had high cholesterol and the doctor prescribed a statin to lower it. After a few months your blood results would usually show a reduction, but if you are eating poorly, no exercise, etc and not changing anything else about your health, then of course if you stop the statin again your cholesterol is likely to go back up.

similarly anxiety has to be worked on as any medical condition. Or if your like me, scared to death of crippling anxiety coming back, you just stay on the medicine just in case ;) Assuming you don't suffer from side effects that may make that more difficult.

I hope that helps, The medicine may still be partially in your system so starting it again may help faster this time, or just the fact that you know your on it again and it will be helping you may be helping you to feel better about it as well.

A

anyajp

20mg olanzapine and 10mg zolpidem for sleep!

L

Leahhere90

I'm really glad to hear that it worked for you relatively quickly last time, that's great news!

Paroxetine is an SSRI. I'm not a medical guy, but most if not all SSRIs take 4-6 week's to *start* working, but they can take a full 6 months+ to have full effects.

The best thing to do is to be on medication and then have some cognitive behavioral or other type of therapy to work on the underlying causes of anxiety/depression (presumably anxiety if your posting on this forumn). After you've done therapy for some period of time you might then come off the medicines.

But otherwise think of this as you would any other medical issue. Say you had high cholesterol and the doctor prescribed a statin to lower it. After a few months your blood results would usually show a reduction, but if you are eating poorly, no exercise, etc and not changing anything else about your health, then of course if you stop the statin again your cholesterol is likely to go back up.

similarly anxiety has to be worked on as any medical condition. Or if your like me, scared to death of crippling anxiety coming back, you just stay on the medicine just in case ;) Assuming you don't suffer from side effects that may make that more difficult.

I hope that helps, The medicine may still be partially in your system so starting it again may help faster this time, or just the fact that you know your on it again and it will be helping you may be helping you to feel better about it as well.
Thank you for your reply. I had quite bad anxiety a couple of years ago and I had counselling. My problem is health anxiety. I don’t deal with illness or death well at all. Counselling did help me for a bit but I would like to have cognitive behaviour therapy. So I’m on the waiting list for that. I’ve got to say day 6 on paroxetine and I’ve woken up feeling not so bad. Managed to do a bit of housework, get dressed and moving about more than usual. I’ve been on the sofa for most of the week so there’s improvement. :)

LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds

LucyInTheSkyWithDiamonds

Hi. I'm on meds since not long ago. I had prescribed Citalopram but it doesn't work, makes me sleep for 12 hours and I feel unmotivated and don't feel like doing anything after that. I took 60mg, now I'm taking 40 and feel a bit better but I still sleep a lot. My doctor wants me to leave citalopram after a week and I'm supposed to take Fluoxetine (I know it's known as Prozac, but in my country the medication's name is different). It's not supposed to make me sleepy but it'll start working after 2 months :/ We'll see. I suffer from generalised anxiety disorder and probably borderline personality disorder. My doctor says I'm depressive but I don't suffer from depression.

Matthew 666

Matthew 666

Hi, I have severe anxiety the past few weeks and have gone back on to my medication. Paroxetine 20mg. It worked for me last time and I felt amazing after a short time on it.
But now I feel like I’m back to square one and wish I never came off the medication.
Is anyone else starting out on medication? Would be nice to follow other peoples journeys as starting meds is hard
Hi mat here how are you

Lynds1990

Lynds1990

Hi.could anybody taking buspirone 5mg? I am so scary start this tablets...
I used to take this, made me more anxious, but literally everyone is different. 5mg is a pretty low dose so it should be okay. *Possible trigger warning* During a pretty low time, I took nearly an entire bottle of this stuff and the only thing it did was make me drowsy. I even still went to work without mentioning it to anyone.

To answer the question, I take 0.5MG of Klonopin twice daily for anxiety, and quite a few others for everything else, haha.

M

mikedrums

I'm on 50 mg of prestiq right now going to 100 in another week or so. Was on zoloft, but it didn't seem to be enough so I finally saw a psychiatrist recently and she prescribed prestiq. Haven't been on it real long yet, but I'm hoping it ends up being right for me. It's hard to get these medications right for each individual person.