• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What makes you anxious??.....

Q

quality factor

What makes YOU anxious?...do you have any tips for dealing with it? :scared:

qf.

schiz01

schiz01

I have found concentrating on my breathing useful ....slowly breathing in through your nose and then slowly exhaling out through your mouth.
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EINZRjt304A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EINZRjt304A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

R

rasselas

I think all my life I've dealt with social anxiety through humour. The more uncomfortable I feel, the more likely I'll crack jokes. This is very, very effective - and puts everyone at their ease. Although the law of averages says that occasionally you'll drop a clanger but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Caffeine should be banned for people with anxiety! It's a criminally dodgy substance! So I'd try and seriously limit your gulping of that drug. I have and the benefits are considerable. I just tyry and use it now as part of my wake up routine. It helps me recover from the ogre I wake up as.

Daily rigorous exercise is an absolute human essential need. Without it your body and brain will do all kinds of odd and unpleasant things. We evolved to be active.

Cities make me anxious - so I try to avoid them.

Same with busy shopping malls - I get incredibly agitated in these places. O, the wanton materialist dirge - so I do most my shopping online.

Groups of youths make me anxious sometimes so if they stare at me I say hello and smile. I try and remember I was too once a scowling youth with raging hormones.

Demands for late bill payments make me anxious, so I either don't read them or throw them in the bin. When I feel okay I approach them on my own terms. It's only money, not life and death.

When I'm feeling low and not too good, my door being knocked makes me anxious - so I ignore it. Same as the phone. If it's really important they'll pop a note through the door. Again, I can then choose to approach them on my own terms when I'm good and ready.

Sometimes though I get so anxious for no obvious reason. Then I go cap in hand to the MHT and get a short script of diazepam. It helps to get through the worst times - and is certainly far less damaging than resorting to alcohol, which just tends to make matters worse in the longterm.

:)

lal10

lal10

Ok you ready for this, you did ask!!

The phone ringing
Opening my mail
Visiting the doctors/dentist/opticians/hairdressers
Crowds
Being alone but sometimes being with people
Cities
Public transport
Going anywhere new
Someone knocking at the door when i'm not expecting anyone
Most people with authority (no matter how little)
Exams, assessments anything that causes me to be 'graded'

Ok I'll stop there for now lol!!

I always try and avoid a situation that I know will cause me anxiety but it certainly isn't always possible. I can't never go to the docs, dentist etc or not take exams as I'm a student!

I do use breathing techniques and have found them excellent in certain situations including pain relief not just anxiety (I study this as part of my complementary therapies degree). I also try to do as much as I can when I am well so that I don't get all worked up over the stuff I should be doing when I'm not well, it takes the pressure off. I don't always stick to this though but if I could I think I'd be much happier!!

I've tried loads of therapies and they all work to some degree (I find better results with anxiety than for my depression) but you can't go and have a massage when your in tesco's feeling a panic coming on lol!! But essential oils might help, take a bottle of lavender (or one of many that can help anxiety and that you find personally appealing) oil with you and have a sniff when things get bad, incorporate breathing long and slow while doing it. Try focusing on your breathing before anything happens but when you know it is likely to, I try a few deep breaths in the car before getting out then focus on my breath (listen to it/count it whatever works for you) as I approach the store/place so I kind of loose some of the focus on the crowds that make me anxious.

I'm a big one for alternative remedies so try the old favourite chamomile tea, it might take the edge off a bit, I also find lemon balm tea quite relaxing but only use them if you like them, don't force it down as that defeats the point! Valerian (tea/oil/herb) is a goodie, it's a sedative but I find that when anxious it doesn't put me to sleep but brings me down a bit. I also use meditation (not easy to start but don't worry about all the stuff u read about it, it doesn't come easy to anyone at first and there are no set times or length of sessions just go with it and improve gradually) and tai chi.

Using a anxiety diary can also help you pin point what and when causes you to be at your most anxious and then avoid certain places or times of the day. Also do things in your own time, I really should listen to my own advice on this one lol, but forcing yourself will only make things worse.

Hope this helps!!

Stay well

Lal
xx

lal10

lal10

PS (sorry I can go on sometimes!)

Schiz - like the video!

If anyone would like any more info on complementary therapies and how they can help or meditation/mindfulness/tai chi etc let me know as i've got plenty of stuff to share. I can't stress enough though that you should always see your GP about any symptoms so if you decide to see a therapist they have a diagnosis to be aware of and that if you have other health problems you need to make them aware, something that any reputable therapist would check anyway. Also do understand that therapies are not cures and no therapist worth their salt would ever say they were. And just as medication each individuals experience will be just that individual, what works for one may not for another.

schiz01

schiz01

This guy makes some good points in his vid in regards to exposure therapy.Haven't watched any of his other vids but they may be worth looking at for anyone that's interested.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUOQ206WD78&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zUOQ206WD78&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Personally I have found the technique useful.
My psychologist helped me with this and I would set myself small tasks each week then report back to her the following week and discuss how things went.
At that point in my life i was so paranoid and anxious I would start to experience psychotic symptoms if I exposed myself to,or put myself into a stressful situation so had to learn/know when to get out.Its a slow process and should be done in conjunction with a trained therapist.

C

coraline1664

-

Similar to the things already mentioned, my worst is anything that makes me feel in the slightest bit pressured, and I feel threatened and unsafe very easily now because of past events. The telephone is one of my worst. Things around people mainly but it has got better before, so I'm sure it will again. The only thing is that when I was on my anti depressant/anxiety medications I felt 'manic', I don't know if it actually was but that was how it felt and I couldn't be in the house for over an hour and especially not alone as I felt really uncomfortable being still! I wanted to be out even in the middle of the night and went up and spoke to most people and generally was completely the other way. Probably was a bit too forthcoming on those meds... I just couldn't stop!

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Ok you ready for this, you did ask!!

The phone ringing
Opening my mail
Visiting the doctors/dentist/opticians/hairdressers
Crowds
Being alone but sometimes being with people
Public transport
Going anywhere new
Someone knocking at the door when i'm not expecting anyone
Exams, assessments anything that causes me to be 'graded'

Lal
xx
all of the above yes, and also for me

going more than about 30 miles from home
going anyplace I havnt been before
strong smells
loud noises
rooms with no windows
not being able to sit near the door
having to sit with people either side of me (feeling trapped in)
being alone in the house at night
being out alone after dark
people shouting or raising their voices

Valium helps but they wont let me have it to use occasionally anymore.
Calms or Quiet Nite herbal tabs help.

But mostly I just avoid it all on bad days, cope with a bit as I can on better days. The agoraphobic aspects of it are the most limiting and most strong. But I suppose protect me from so many of the other triggers, ironically.

Thanks for posting this up,

cloudberry, slipping

H

halflife

Seeing people i know makes me anxious! like if im out shopping and i bump into and old friend i'll have a complete panic attack and i end up walking away which makes me seem really weird or ignorant..i cant sit opposite people, cant look people in the eye, constantly scared that im going to blush even infront of familyy!!! and the only thing that takes it away for a while is alcohol but unfortunaltley makes anxiety a billion times worse the next day! the only thing i can think of is to avoid these situations...which can be quite lonely :unsure: ...or ofcourse be a raving alcholic :D xxx

H

Hyperchick

In a word - EVERYTHING!!! I've tried breathing exercises and coping mechanisms but none of them seem to work. I've come to the conclusion that I'll just have to deal with it, the same as many others have to. I think deal with it has become my new mantra to myself.

S

sparkle

anxiety

Hi there was just reading the thread about anxiety something i have myself suffered with for many years ... a debilitating affliction ! I want to write and tell folks how i got over it by using EFT... emotional freedom technique, worked brilliantly for me, the key is with this is to find the right affirmation to use. For those who don't know what EFT is check out emofree.com a website that explains how it works, its really simple to use and very affective. You say an affirmation whilst tapping on certain points on your body, the affirmation which works for me was ... ' even though i have fear of my own power i deeply accept myself ' this calmed it down most times straight away, sometimes it took a few attempts when it was severe. Another affirmation which worked whilst tapping was ... ' even though i am feeling like a victim right now i deeply accept myself ', this seem to work well too. Eventually what arised was every time i felt my stomach start to churn i would just have to say this affirmation in my mind and it would stop the anxiety straight away. Try it out and see what you think ............. Sparkle :clap:

P

patchwork-me

Off the top of my head at the moment the main things are;
Phone ringing
Going to work
Going outside
Being in closed space
The smallest bit of stress (be it too much washing up)

All these have made me have anxiety attacks recently, i am only know making a note of them as i've only recently gotten worse and worse.
I dont know how to stop them, stepping away from the situation can help depending on the situation. But then i guess i cant run forever?
I can usually get out of an attack easier if my boyfriend is with me and just holds me tight, then i can focus on my breathing, it seems harder when i am alone.

F

fast fuse

things that make me anxious are -
going out on own
standing in que
waiting around for more than a few mins
doctors, hosp -have to go when not busy.
talking to people
busy places

basically everything. even sitting at home i get sympstoms

Angels

Angels

Well ...
talking to people in general
small or large crowds
the city
public transport
being on my own in public
waiting around, in ques or something
the door knocking
cars outside the house
and basically what people are thinking. that makes me very anxious.
people raising their voices at me
if i lose something

yeah :(