• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What kind of manic behaviour will get you hospitalized?

J

jamie20

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I just need to ask a question and get some advice.

My friend has not long been diagnosed with bipolar disorder after having a major depressive episode. He's had a manic episode in the past but, not knowing that anything was wrong, we thought nothing of it.

I'm a bit worried now and I want to keep a close eye on him incase of future episodes. He fears hospitals and I want to do whatever I can to prevent him going over the top and getting himself arrested under the mental health act or something. I know I can't be there 24/7 but I'd just like to know the kind of behaviour that could potentially land him in hospital.

Thank you.

A

Apotheosis

Take your pick - but the general rule is anything which constitutes a harm/danger or potential harm/danger to oneself or others.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Any behaviour that constitutes as him being a danger to himself or others really. Like Apotheosis says take your pick!

You sound like my boyfriend with me, he'll try anything to keep me out of hospital - like your friend I'm scared of hospitals - but if he needs to be I'm afraid it'll be out your hands.

F

FruitCakeInKent

I, too, am concerned about going too far and therefore being detained under the MHA.

D

Dollit

I think that it's great that you want to support your friend. I had a partner who monitored me and he did it so closely I felt I couldn't breathe. Being bipolar is just a part of me and while it's good to be looked after don't worry too much. Not everyone with bipolar gets to hospital - I have never been admitted but get DLA because I'm a danger to myself. Try this link for some reliable information http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalheal...s/bipolarmanicdepression/bipolardisorder.aspx

Good luck