• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What kind of manic behaviour will get you hospitalized?

J

jamie20

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I just need to ask a question and get some advice.

My friend has not long been diagnosed with bipolar disorder after having a major depressive episode. He's had a manic episode in the past but, not knowing that anything was wrong, we thought nothing of it.

I'm a bit worried now and I want to keep a close eye on him incase of future episodes. He fears hospitals and I want to do whatever I can to prevent him going over the top and getting himself arrested under the mental health act or something. I know I can't be there 24/7 but I'd just like to know the kind of behaviour that could potentially land him in hospital.

Thank you.

A

Apotheosis

Former member
Take your pick - but the general rule is anything which constitutes a harm/danger or potential harm/danger to oneself or others.

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Any behaviour that constitutes as him being a danger to himself or others really. Like Apotheosis says take your pick!

You sound like my boyfriend with me, he'll try anything to keep me out of hospital - like your friend I'm scared of hospitals - but if he needs to be I'm afraid it'll be out your hands.

F

FruitCakeInKent

I, too, am concerned about going too far and therefore being detained under the MHA.

D

Dollit

Former member
I think that it's great that you want to support your friend. I had a partner who monitored me and he did it so closely I felt I couldn't breathe. Being bipolar is just a part of me and while it's good to be looked after don't worry too much. Not everyone with bipolar gets to hospital - I have never been admitted but get DLA because I'm a danger to myself. Try this link for some reliable information http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalheal...s/bipolarmanicdepression/bipolardisorder.aspx

Good luck