What its like to live in a mental hospital

N

norky

Thought id share my experiance of living in a mental hospital.
I was sectioned for the second time. This time although i was talking out loud i wasnt delusional. The docter who assessed me outside my prison cell overheard me talking about fluoride in water. Subsequently i was sectioned. They used a social worker to gain a second opinion. They transfered me to a secure hospital ie one for prisoners and unsafe people. After two months my charges got dropped and i was transferred to low secure. When i first arrived in hospital i refused medication they then rushed me in seclusion unit and forced me to take it via a depot injection. It was at this point i realised that i wasnt going to win so i reluctantly took the depots.
The worst thing about secure units is the noise. Theres always something going on. And ofcourse gangs form in there and they make noise together then theres the music being blasted out in either the communal room or the patients bedrooms. The staff are quite happy to do nothing. There quite unsafe places to be in with bullying and intimidation. The patients either assult each other or the staff. The foods not good. Im vegan and they constantly messed my food up. The nhs hospitals seem to spend more more money than the private ones.
In both the level of cares poor. You see a docter (psychiatric) once every two weeks sometimes once a week. Its the same routine questions are you hearing voices, unnormal thoughts, thinking of harming yourself or others. Then they ask you wether you have any questions and out you go. Most of the time you have to ask for your leave extensions etc. The reality is your on your own and you either sink or swim.
Its quite easy to stay there for a long time if your not pro active.
Alot of the time in secure hospitals you have to do courses. There mundane and boring. Worst of all they take a long time to complete. Only giving you one hour a week of psychologists time. You have to do each course one at a time. The numbers just dont make sense. It cost £4000 a week to house a mental patient at least in a secure unit. But can only give one hour a week. Daft.
Thats just a small part of my experiance. Im happy i made it out and am gonna try not to go back again. Peace.

Last edited:
B

BrokenToy

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're out and feeling strong enough to post that experience. :peace:

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your experience, it was an interesting read...

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

:welcome: to the forum. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum,
Thank you for telling your story, mine is simiilar. I was sectioned, assaults are commonplace as is the bullying.
Glad you got out, hope your feeling better.
Take care

N

nightmare57

Cambian Group = absolutely pits of mental health care! We had a service user move into my supported living complex in a shared house who smeared feces and urinated everywhere from Cambian. It was dreadful! Cambian was neglectful in telling my supported living company the full extent of his problems so they gave the go ahead for him to move in. It transpired they wanted rid. 9 weeks of it. It split the staff team, with the constant washing his clothes all the house smelt strongly of urine. Staff and my housemates literally had to wipe feces of dinning room chairs every time we wanted to sit down. I came very close to having a breakdown. I fully understand how mental health service can be so useless and fail people. Cambian Group not only let him down but us too. That were so intent to free a bed they lie about a persons problems. They are disgusting!!! I still suffer from depersonalisation because of that very traumatic event.

Last edited:
I

IWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I think a mental institution or mental health housing would be better for me. I'm having such a hard time right now. I can barely take care of myself.

Chyna Pearl

Chyna Pearl

Wow, I thought my experiences in the mental hospital were bad..it was nothing compared to what you described..I am happy you are out of there now + I hope things will be better for you now...:cool:)