• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

What is your relationship like with Feelings of Disgust?

N

Novemberdog

Looking to get some insight into how persons with a diagnosis of a personality disorder experience Disgust.

Would you say you feel disgusted:

A) all of the time?
B) Most of the time?
C) Sometimes?
D) Not very often?
E) Not at all?

What disgusts you most and why?

Are you disgusted by yourself, others or both?

Does the world disgust you in general or not?

No judgements. This is a safe space, I just want to hear your personal experiences and there are no right or wrong answers.

N

Novemberdog

My answers: B. I am most disgusted by bullies, because I spent a lot of my time growing up getting bullied and as a demographic they ruin everything for everyone.

Disgusted by both for reasons I'd rather not get into.

The world doesn't disgust me, I love it. I am disgusted by what we do with it.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I have schizotypal personality disorder
I feel disgusted...C. Sometimes...

What disgusts me most is how hate is so normal in this world. Of course as humans we may feel this but taking it out on others won't fix anything

I am not really disgusted with myself...I used to be and may be every once in a while for superficial things like my appearance. I am sometimes disgusted with others, But not with superficial things, but I don't feel disgust when i always "should"
By this I mean most of the time if I read about a criminal or something horrible someone did, I can acknowledge that I should probably be disgusted but I won't feel anything, but sometimes I do a little bit. When I do, it usually turns my thoughts into existential questioning like why do people do this, well of course they do bad things because of their own emotions, but why so much hate? Why so much pointless hate that could be solved by a simple conversation where both parties really listen to each other? There's not enough listening to each other...

I can't say the world generally disgusts me or doesn't disgust me...I strive for balance and so I try to hold onto the feeling that it simply just is
But I appreciate that last point, the world doesn't disgust me, I am disgusted by what we do with it. But even then, there are many good things people do with the world too...

OCDguy

OCDguy

I've been lucky in that the majority of the people I have encountered have always been good, decent people. Having said that though there are some neighbourhoods where the minorities seem to be stock piled together (poor choice of words I know, but it's a description). If you are one of those unlucky people who are surrounded by hate fuelled people, take some confort in the knowledge they aren't the norm. Perhaps there are things you can do to return yourself amonst the majority rather than the minority. It's always a good topic for discussion. :)

Finite

Finite

I am diagnosed, among other things, with EUPD and my answer to your question would be D - E.

Disgust is apparently one of the 7 universal emotions, but it's not one I experience very often at all. I know I should, in a socially acceptable sense, feel disgusted at certain things, but I rarely have an emotional response to them, just a logical one based on reasoning and the desire to understand.

The occasional times do I feel disgust/revulsion tend to be more related to senses like smell and taste than anything else.

The voices on the other hand appear to be more A - B when it comes to the level of disgust they feel.