• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What is your bigger struggle, depression or anxiety?

• Thread starter Alexander Ypsilantis
  • Start date
A

Alexander Ypsilantis

The two sides of the same coin, anxiety and depression. For me it's mainly the anxiety, at least lately. I can deal with depression, I have medication that addresses that. And it's been awhile since I allowed my depression to get out of control, 3-4 years.

But anxiety? What can you do about that? Sure, you can pop a Xanax, but that has it's own risks. You're limited to how much you can take of benzodiazepine medication. I drink alcoholic beverages to take the'edge' off, but the relief I get from them is short lived and you can't abuse it.

Really, anxiety for me is much more difficult to address. Part of that is my intellectual makeup. I am an engineer by profession, problem solving and thinking things through to their final outcome is what I do for a living. Turning it off after work is the problem, I carry it over into my everyday life. Catastrophizing has become an integral part of my personality.

I wish I lived with someone, that would help I think. Having someone to talk to, share your concerns with, would be great. I live alone and work long hours out of the home due to the Pandemic. The feeling of isolation and being alone isn't helping the anxiety. Anyone in the same boat?

C

celticlass

Okay. I'm on the next flight out lol! 😂😂 Seriously I completely get where you are coming from with your professional background and how it makes you think, analyse etc Definitely me as a former Social Worker and way harder as Mental Health Officer. Pick everything apart, look for as much info as possible and always look on the downside 🤷‍♀️ My anxiety has been exacerbated for about 2 years now but has always been there. I live on edge and wait for the next 'crisis' to hit! Very often it is problems with my children, their partners and worrying about my grandchildren. Mine was so much of a problem that I accepted a prescription for Pregablin around 16 months or so and that helps me stay on a more even keel. I think undertaking short periods of meditation can be helpful (for me anyway). In my case working on a little bit of knitting helps still my mind and occupy my hands. But I don't know what supports are open to you or what you would wish to do.

TDCI1994

TDCI1994

Anxiety overpowers depression in perspective pregabaline has been not favored recently here in Essex been on them myself

jajingna

jajingna

I've been feeling depressed for about 6 weeks or so this time around, got on an antidepressant a few weeks ago, so I'm anticipating it soon being less, hopefully. Anxiety, mostly the social variety I guess, has been there for decades and has been a big part of my life since youth to the present day, so I'd consider that the larger problem.

C

CabbageMama

I mostly have the two bundled up, which is really confusing and exhausting. Benzodiazepines do absolutely nothing for me, weirdly. I’m on Pregabalin, but I don’t think it helps with the anxiety in my case. I really feel what you are saying about living alone though. I do have my two lovely children, but really miss having someone there for me. Things like cooking dinner and running a bath every once in a while, someone to make you laugh, relax watching tv together, someone to cuddle in bed, talk through the day, look forward to sharing things with. These kind of things would ease anxiety for me or stop it worsening. In the absence of a willing participant, I have tried really hard to think about my breathing, which can suffer when anxious as I take shallow quick breaths, instead of deeper slower ones. If I can feel things getting on top of me, I shut my eyes and start really focusing on the in/out breaths, how it makes me feel. I imagine my lungs filling with the good deep breaths, that oxygenating my blood to help my body to function effectively. The deep breathing and the visualisation are really effective for me, so hope it makes some difference for you too.

C

celticlass

Anxiety overpowers depression in perspective pregabaline has been not favored recently here in Essex been on them myself
Why is it not favoured, please? I know it is a controlled drug and people have been selling on. I collect mine weekly.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I can deal with anxiety (just pop a Klonopin when needed). It's the depression I can't deal with, because I have treatment-resistant depression, so I really don't get much relief from meds.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I can deal with anxiety (just pop a Klonopin when needed). It's the depression I can't deal with, because I have treatment-resistant depression, so I really don't get much relief from meds.
Is Klonopin an alternative to Xanax? I'm ready to try anything at this point. Hate to have medication be the fall back, but when your options are limited....

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I mostly have the two bundled up, which is really confusing and exhausting. Benzodiazepines do absolutely nothing for me, weirdly. I’m on Pregabalin, but I don’t think it helps with the anxiety in my case. I really feel what you are saying about living alone though. I do have my two lovely children, but really miss having someone there for me. Things like cooking dinner and running a bath every once in a while, someone to make you laugh, relax watching tv together, someone to cuddle in bed, talk through the day, look forward to sharing things with. These kind of things would ease anxiety for me or stop it worsening. In the absence of a willing participant, I have tried really hard to think about my breathing, which can suffer when anxious as I take shallow quick breaths, instead of deeper slower ones. If I can feel things getting on top of me, I shut my eyes and start really focusing on the in/out breaths, how it makes me feel. I imagine my lungs filling with the good deep breaths, that oxygenating my blood to help my body to function effectively. The deep breathing and the visualisation are really effective for me, so hope it makes some difference for you too.
Exactly. I'm separated from my wife. We can talk on the phone or I can go over to her place on weekends, but during the workweek I usually have too much on my plate to break away. Just talking to someone can keep you grounded, since anxiety tends to spiral up and away when you're by yourself. Throw in the restrictions from the pandemic and you have the makings of a really stressful year for anxiety sufferers.

Actually, when I'm focused on my work projects it helps keep me grounded. But between those conference call/meetings I tend to get anxious. That's when I suck down a beer or glass of wine to take the edge off. And mind you, I went months without even a taste of alcoholic beverage before the anxiety kicked in. I don't need it most of the time, only when it's bad. Then, at 10:00 pm when I'm getting ready for bed I take .25 mg (very light dose) of Xanax just to help me ease into sleep. It also reduced anxiety a bit, so I look forward to that little white pill.

If someone could point me in the direction of a good, effective anti-anxiety medication with minimal side effects I'd be pleased as punch. I'll keep trying the breathing exercises and so on-and they help-but nothing helps instantaneously like medication.

Bluejay7500

Bluejay7500

Anxiety hit me hard in my late twenties crippling really. I had to go on mandatory medication. Now I’m medication free and anxiety free thanks to mood stabilizer and therapy.

jajingna

jajingna

I haven't looked into it much, but what about other, natural things for anxiety reduction? I just drink a bit of green tea, guess it helps a little, but there appear to be a bunch of things that could help.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Is Klonopin an alternative to Xanax? I'm ready to try anything at this point. Hate to have medication be the fall back, but when your options are limited....
Klonopin is an alternative to Xanax. When I was on Xanax, I felt it was faster-acting than Klonopin, but the effects of Klonopin last longer. "Choose your weapon."

M

Marianda

The two sides of the same coin, anxiety and depression. For me it's mainly the anxiety, at least lately. I can deal with depression, I have medication that addresses that. And it's been awhile since I allowed my depression to get out of control, 3-4 years.

But anxiety? What can you do about that? Sure, you can pop a Xanax, but that has it's own risks. You're limited to how much you can take of benzodiazepine medication. I drink alcoholic beverages to take the'edge' off, but the relief I get from them is short lived and you can't abuse it.

Really, anxiety for me is much more difficult to address. Part of that is my intellectual makeup. I am an engineer by profession, problem solving and thinking things through to their final outcome is what I do for a living. Turning it off after work is the problem, I carry it over into my everyday life. Catastrophizing has become an integral part of my personality.

I wish I lived with someone, that would help I think. Having someone to talk to, share your concerns with, would be great. I live alone and work long hours out of the home due to the Pandemic. The feeling of isolation and being alone isn't helping the anxiety. Anyone in the same boat?
I agree that anxiety is the worst to handle. Sometimes I experience episodes of intense fear that I can only describe as a "tour to hell" . Isolation is the biggest punishment for me as I really need to talk everyday to someone.

I can totally relate to you on not being able to disconnect from work. I'm currently unemployed but I'm an attorney and when I work I can't disconnect myself from work. I'm constantly thinking if the advice I gave was right, if the contract was well drafted etc. I remember times in which I woke up middle of the night with so many doubts that I had to turn on my computer to check what I did.

When I'm working I definitely have to take 0.25mg of Xanax before going to the office. It calms me down and increases my intellectual abilities. I become super productive, my analytical thinking becomes extraordinary and I can handle several priorities at the same time. Wlthout the med I'm just a crying baby, totally useless.

I also tend to catastrophize everything and it's a living hell. I find relief in being with friends but nowadays, due to the pandemia, I'm just sitting at home alone.

Having a drink is also a good idea but it has to be only ONE drink and sometimes that becomes difficult. If I drink too much, I wake up the following day more depressed and with a terrible headache.

Xanax is for me the big savior. I wish I could take it every day but it's not possible. My future terrifies me.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I agree that anxiety is the worst to handle. Sometimes I experience episodes of intense fear that I can only describe as a "tour to hell" . Isolation is the biggest punishment for me as I really need to talk everyday to someone.

I can totally relate to you on not being able to disconnect from work. I'm currently unemployed but I'm an attorney and when I work I can't disconnect myself from work. I'm constantly thinking if the advice I gave was right, if the contract was well drafted etc. I remember times in which I woke up middle of the night with so many doubts that I had to turn on my computer to check what I did.

When I'm working I definitely have to take 0.25mg of Xanax before going to the office. It calms me down and increases my intellectual abilities. I become super productive, my analytical thinking becomes extraordinary and I can handle several priorities at the same time. Wlthout the med I'm just a crying baby, totally useless.

I also tend to catastrophize everything and it's a living hell. I find relief in being with friends but nowadays, due to the pandemia, I'm just sitting at home alone.

Having a drink is also a good idea but it has to be only ONE drink and sometimes that becomes difficult. If I drink too much, I wake up the following day more depressed and with a terrible headache.

Xanax is for me the big savior. I wish I could take it every day but it's not possible. My future terrifies me.
You sound a lot like me.

The .25 mg of Xanax I take at night doesn't work as well as it used to, but I won't increase the dosage. I'm very sensitive to the problems other folks have had with benzodiazepine addiction and withdrawal.

What I really need is to get out and meet/talk with people. This last year has been basically isolation for many of us. I can count on one hand the number of times I saw anyone besides my wife for a real conversation. And then we spoke at a distance. People who have families at home don't know how lucky they are, just having that company on a daily basis makes all the difference in the world.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Klonopin is an alternative to Xanax. When I was on Xanax, I felt it was faster-acting than Klonopin, but the effects of Klonopin last longer. "Choose your weapon."
It looks like Klonopin is another benzodiazepine medication.

Is there another anxiety reduction medication that isn't a benzo? It appears valium is as well.