• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

what is wrong with me

H

hjbatchelor

Here's my story:

I am a 19 year old male. Ever since i was 16 i have had what the doctor has told me is depression. One minute i can be perfectly fine, living my life like normal, working, going out etc... then suddenly i feel like i do now. It just hits me randomly and i dont know why.

When i get like this it usually last about 2/3 weeks and then goes again, but i have got used to the fact that it will always keep coming back. When i have it, it makes me feel really tired all the time. This weekend i slept nearly all day saturday and sunday but when i woke up i was still tired!

I made myself go into work monday but when i was there i felt really self concious like people were looking at me more than usual and had to keep checking myself. I also found it very hard to concentrate and focus. I work with computers and usually do alot of things at once, being on the phone and using the computer but on monday i couldnt seem to do even the simplest of tasks or make the easiest of decissions. I dont seem to like company other than my immediate family when i am like this and tend not to go out at all.

I have been on fluoexetine anti - depressants but i dont think these work. I have had a spell off it before which cleared up with no-medication, but on another occasion i was put on the pills and it got better so the doctor thinks aww yeah these work and keeps putting me on them. But i am on them now! And have been for the last 3 months and have started feeling like it again this weekend!!?!

Im going back 2moro but doubt they will help me anymore.
Have i got depression? If not, what is wrong with me? I have been signed off work and will lose my job and friends if i dont get fixed :(

Thank you.

Sugar Coated Owl

Sugar Coated Owl

What you are describing sounds like depression to me. If you don't feel like Fluoxetine is working mention this to your Doctor and perhaps they will try you on another anti-depressant.

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Hjbatchelor,

Unfortunately none of us on here are qualified to suggest if it is on isn't depression, we can all only talk from personal experience. However what you described is vertiually the same as how I felt on and off for 5 years. Being fine one moment and unbareably low for a few months.

Unfortunately Last year I hit a low and never bounced back out of it, so I really urge you to speak to your doctor and try to get a plan that that will suit you. It may be worth while thinking about a change in meds. Also you mentioned you would take the meds, feel better then stop (forgive me if i have got that completely incorrect) Generally the advice is to stay on Meds for at least 6 month (if not more) once you have started feeling better again. it could be a case you are just coming off them too early.

try to take some time to relax and do things for yourself - Easier said than done but taking time out is an important part of the recovery process.

Take care of yourself and I hope you start to see an improvement soon. Let us know how you are getting on.

X