• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is this?

C

Carena

Founding Member
I have this problem for quite a while. I was hoing somebody could provide me with an answer here.

I'm 24 years. And almost everytime when I wake up.. more of during the transition from sleep to wakefulness rather than when I've woke up completely, the same thought crosses my mind- that I'm already 24 year of age...half my life is past now....and I have only a few years left of quality life (quality- as in before I will start having wrinkles and generally showing signs of aging) and then I strart to think of where was I all these years...what did I do, what did I achieve...and then I think about where I'm at at this age- having no money, my friends being far away, the person I want to be with being far away, and that its been almost 2 years now that I've been trying to get out of the situation that I'm in and come to see him, but it isnt happening....and everytime I wake up its all the same problems that I have to face while years are passing me by.

On the other hand, I'm fully aware that 24 is not old- only it doesnt help. Many people tell me that not many people have got far in their lives at this age...everything is only starting. And I'm aware of that when I think about it logically. Yet I cant help but feel like in my case everything is not starting but coming to an end. And I know there's no logic behind it. I try to fight this feeling, I try to rationalize it but no matter how hard I try I wake up with this thought.

And it leaves this really unpleasant feeling for the rest of the day.

Any ideas on what it is? Anyone ever experienced this? Why is it always happening during the transition from sleep to wakefulness?

Last edited:
D

Dollit

To me (and this is just my opinion and not a diagnosis) it sounds like a low grade depression. Depression is often worse on waking. Perhaps if you could reassess your life and give yourself some achievable targets it may help lift your waking mood. Also make sure that you're eating and sleeping properly. Get a good walk everyday. And having said all that it would be a very confident 24 year old who didn't have some doubts about what was going on in their life. :hug:

Libra1

Libra1

Founding Member
Hello Carena, just wanted to say hello and :welcome: to MHF.:)

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi Carena and welcome:welcome:

I agree with everything Dollit says. its very common to feel like this, feeling like life as just passed by. Try to set yourself a target for each day, even if its only a short walk

U

User1

Founding Member
Hi Carena,

I found that a book by Fiona Castle, 'Rainbows through the rain, An anthology of Hope' helped me through tough times. There is something for everyone in any form of emotional uncertainty to take away with them, give it a try. Hope it helps you.