• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is this called?

B

BrewersSicily

Imagine you are looking at something, a house say, but the house turns into a giant.
Your still seeing the house, but your brain misinterprets each part of it, Each shadow, brick and window get interpretated as part of the giant. BUT the actual house doesn't change. All of a sudden 2+2=5.

In a couple of seconds your brain goes back to normal. The house is a house. But it fills with an intense fear that you are going to be attacked.

I assume this isn't an hallucination. Could this be a pseudo-BPD-related hallucination? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone know what this experience is called?

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Perceptual distortions? Something like that. If i look at something, it might start to bend or move. Wallpaper with patterns, will start to move or swim around. I don't have BPD but i do have hallucinations, although very, very rarely now.

I don't know if 'normal' people get this too

Are you struggling to sleep?
insomnia can cause this, as can medication

M

Murasakibee

Imagine you are looking at something, a house say, but the house turns into a giant.
Your still seeing the house, but your brain misinterprets each part of it, Each shadow, brick and window get interpretated as part of the giant. BUT the actual house doesn't change. All of a sudden 2+2=5.

In a couple of seconds your brain goes back to normal. The house is a house. But it fills with an intense fear that you are going to be attacked.

I assume this isn't an hallucination. Could this be a pseudo-BPD-related hallucination? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone know what this experience is called?
I don't have Borderline personality disorder, but I have had similar experiences. I have since I was a child. It happened especially with cars and toys for me.
So I believe I understand what you are talking about.

M

Murasakibee

Perceptual distortions? Something like that. If i look at something, it might start to bend or move. Wallpaper with patterns, will start to move or swim around. I don't have BPD but i do have hallucinations, although very, very rarely now.

Actually I just looked it up, and it could be what's called "Alice in Wonderland Syndrome." The symptoms usually don't last longer than a couple of minutes. Some people see things larger, some smaller, and others see things closer or further away.
I haven't done a lot of research on it, but I'm going to look into it more.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have had patterns in wallpaper move and “swim around” too.

B

BrewersSicily

I was wondering whether it is part of a 'normal' spectrum of experiences. Even 'normal' experiences can be stigmatised, hense aren't really talked about.

No, I am not struggling to sleep and I don't take medication. Although I wonder if it could be the result of being previously heavily medicated.