• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

what is the root cause of ocd

K

karl7

what is the root cause

P

PrimeLife

That is not an easy question to answer, but I can give you my take on it.

For me the cause of OCD is anxiety (fear of something) and stress. It's a way for my body to cope with the stress or anxiety, because (according to my therapist) I haven't learned / lost the ability to cope with those feelings.

For example: You see these obese people on TV, on channels like TLC (my 1000-pound family/my 600-pound life). Whenever they get anxiety or stress, they start eating to cope with those feelings, because that's the only way they know to take those feelings away. I have the same, that's why I don't buy food for a whole week but I buy food everyday.

G

Grubelnsucht

I don’t think anyone’s nailed it down yet, but there’s evidence that there’s physical as well as environmental causes for it. Some people are naturally predisposed to it while others seem to have developed it after some anxiety-causing event or events. As previous poster mentioned, anxiety seems to be the commonality so lowering anxiety = reduction in symptoms.