• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is the point of Rethink?

shaky

shaky

I have Rethink as a 'Like' on my facebook
A message popped up saying -'join one of our support groups' and I thought
'Actually, I might like to do that.'
So I went to the 'interactive' map and

there is nothing in my town
The nearest two towns have 'carers' support groups'

What is the F***ing point of a carers's support group?
Some of us don't HAVE carers
The ones with carers are the LUCKY ones

WHAT ABOUT THE F***ING MENTALLY UNWELL GETTING SOME F***ING HELP
YOU USELES F***ING CHARITY>???
:curseyou:

apple

apple

Rethink don't do anything where I live either, and Mind just run a two hour drop where you have to pay £2 to go and have tea or coffee, plus a befriending scheme (or maybe it's called peer mentoring?).

I agree that people who haven't got carers or people to turn to for support often miss out, and they're the ones that need help the most.

I haven't got anyone and because of that I went without DLA for about nine years (after a misinformed nurse told me that I wouldn't be eligible), and I also lost my home (which looking back was really unnecessary), plus I ended up giving savings away on several occasions when my judgement wasn't working so well. On top of that I lost contact with friends because I was unwell and a support group would have made a huge difference.

I have used the Rethink legal line on a couple of occasions though, but having a support group is really needed where I live.

Last edited:
K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Rethink don't do anything round here either, what they mainly seem to do or claim to do is lobby the Government on stuff? They have a glossy shiny PR Department, and are housed in some huge and probably very expensive buildings in Vauxhall? They have an advice phone line and apart from that am not sure either what Rethink do, apart from tell you how great they think they are? At grass roots level don't feel benefit from anything that Rethink do. They appear to be mostly Government funded, I don't know where else they would get so much money, so if that is the case they will have to tow the Government line and not rock the boat, which they don't? So much for Rethink, unless am wrong?

katss

Gibson91

Gibson91

I've no direct experience with Rethink, but thought it was awful that they shut their forum down, giving only a month's notice! They must have known how distressing that was for some people... they could have handled it better, given they're a MH charity.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I have to agree.
It's interesting to see that other people have found they offer bugger all.

Several years ago they used to run social groups and have pamper days, Christmas meals and coffee mornings. But obviously that was deemed unnecessary by the local mental health trust, because funding got completely pulled.
Still, at least we've got plenty of CBfuckingT!! :curseyou:

Honestly, I think being social and making friends when you're isolated and depressed can have a more profound and beneficial effect than anything else the NHS offers. But then what would I know, i'm only a patient that's been unwell and has known how healing it was to get out of my house.... :rolleyes:

Yes, Rethink are shit.
Of all the MH charities, Mind are one of the better ones (after the Samaritan's). x

W

White Dragon

Um. I for one have actually had a good experience with Rethink. It actually wasn't until I came into contact with them that I started to stabilize. They helped me get back on track and offered me hope. I have two wonderful support workers from Rethink and go to a drop in that is held three times a week. All the people I have met with Rethink seem to genuinely care about me and about their work.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone. Maybe I just live in a good area. But I thought it was worth giving my view on them.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Um. I for one have actually had a good experience with Rethink. It actually wasn't until I came into contact with them that I started to stabilize. They helped me get back on track and offered me hope. I have two wonderful support workers from Rethink and go to a drop in that is held three times a week. All the people I have met with Rethink seem to genuinely care about me and about their work.

Obviously I can't speak for everyone. Maybe I just live in a good area. But I thought it was worth giving my view on them.
I don't mean to sound negative for slagging them off.
I do think that they do good when and where they offer services - it's just luck of the draw that you live in an area that provides a service.
I'm pleased for you that you've been feeling better since being in touch with them. That's what matters, is that people feel better and have a more meaningful time at the end of the day.

I

ICFighter

Rethink have services here, I am on a 10 week waiting list just for some sort of supports groups etc, starting to see what is the point waiting that long for something so minor. Mind look good and have services here but can't access thier services unless get assessed with IAPT who they are linked with and have talking therapy which i dont want

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i didn't know you had to be assessed with IAPT before you could use mind services, the cuts are biting

Rod Whiteley

Rod Whiteley

i didn't know you had to be assessed with IAPT before you could use mind services, the cuts are biting
That surely depends on where you are. In some places Mind might be under contract to provide some services only as part of IAPT, and I suppose in some places Rethink might be. In other places their services might be independent of IAPT. Here in Gloucestershire I don't think we have Mind, and as far as I know our Rethink is independent from IAPT.

And it's not necessarily cuts. It could be that extra funding allocated by the CCG in a particular area allows Mind or Rethink to get a contract to supplement the existing IAPT service.

NicoretteGummed

NicoretteGummed

Rethink aren't too bad in my areas.

They have a 12-flat complex near where i live which i'm hoping to move into in april 2016.

D

Deliah

I want more for people. I paid one visit to my local Mind and decided not to venture there again. I had envisaged a pleasant environment, but go a dark and dirty room which smelt strongly of urine. It felt like no consideration or attention had been paid to the space. It took a lot of courage to go at the time, with my head full of voices, paranoid and feeling fragmented. I wanted somewhere I could feel hugged for a while. I think it's time to create something new. I knew that it would never be deemed acceptable for anyone else to meet in such an unourishing environment, but for some reason ok for people suffering with mental illness like they are dehumanised or something. D xx

D

Deliah

Thank you, I feel happy that not all MIND places are this way. Sounds great, what you are doing with them. I enjoy your posts. love D xxxx