• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is the highest dose of quertipine that you can take?

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Hi
I am on quertipine 600mg per night but it is not enough. I was wondering if anyone takes a higher dose. What is the limit?

I am not on an anti-depressant cos they send me high but am on sodium valporate 1000 instead. I am really depressed and it has been getting worse as the week goes on. I have spoke to my cpn but she can't see me until next thursday which the way things are going in won't be in very good shape. The voices(2 male) that blight my life are having a whale of a time egging me on to self harm and worse. I think i need to take the highest dose possible so i put to sleep so i want to know what the highest dose is.
Thanks

lucid scream

lucid scream

i dunno the limit but i was taking 900mgs a day at one time. dropped a lot of stuff due to td and got dizzy a lot and once dislocated my toe from getting up too quick and falling over.
but that can be better than the voices, eh?

jax

jax

I'm on 800 mgs of quetiapine a day. When I was put on it 3 years ago - the max dose was 700 mgs and I was put on a higher dose than recommend as they coulnd't bring me down. The highest dose I have heard someone on is 900 mgs. It's the only drug that helps me sleep. I swear by seroquel (quetiapine). I am also on sodium valporate - 1700 mgs. As well as lithium. I am not allowed anti-depressants as they make me high too.
Good luck. Jacqui

S

scooby1001

Founding Member
Thanks both of you for that information. I took 700mg last night as i was desperate for sleep. It is good to know what i can increase to if nesseary. My pdoc said that when i see him in 2 weeks he is going to start me on Lithium but i don't understand why i would need 2 mood stabilisers. As others i can't use anti-depressents cos they send me high.

D

Dollit

Unless you have the okay from your psych to up your dosage then it's not a good idea.

People often have two mood stabilisers. I've nearly always used lithium in conjunction with something else apart from one year I was on clinical trials. I currently use lithium and lamotrigine which works well for me.

The current practice is not to use anti ds on bipolar people purely because of the risk of the highs as they make the lows lower.

lucid scream

lucid scream

you shouldnt mess with your doseage yourself unless your doc doesnt mind. mostly they do mind.
i take 2 stabilizers too, seroquel and lamotrigine. ive been on these for 3 years and as long as i dont screw with the doseage, im fairly stable.
ive also been taking ambien for sleep for about 2 years, you may want to ask about it.

jax

jax

I am on three mood stabilizers. I'm on lithium, epilim (Sodium valporate) and Seroquel. Despite seroquel (quetiapine) being an anti-psychotic, it also works as anti-manic too. I am on the seroquel for both these properties. Even with these three medicine, I still am quite unstable. My Pdoc is thinking of changing something.
Jacqui