• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What is the easiest way of getting a voice to go away?

everywhichwaybutnormal

everywhichwaybutnormal

Its really starting to irritate me now he simple wont leave me alone hes talking to me now i just want him to simply fuck off!!

ive taken 25mg of olanzapine should help.

Niniane

Niniane

Have you tried listening to music or watching a movie ? Usually it helps me to drive them away, because I have to focus on something else.

everywhichwaybutnormal

everywhichwaybutnormal

Ive decided to listen to music, i called the crisis team but they said i need to be reffered by a doctor which would mean a trip to the hospital but i couldnt because the hospital is about 2 miles away and would take me atleast an about an hour to get there because my bags are packed but im gonna get sectioned again.

Niniane

Niniane

What makes you think you're gonna get sectioned again ?

everywhichwaybutnormal

everywhichwaybutnormal

because of what the voice is making me do and feel and i have to take more that max dose to feel a little calmer.

Niniane

Niniane

If the voices are making you harm yourself or something similar, maybe you should go the hospital, at least to talk with a doctor. Isn't there someone who can help you get there ?

calypso

calypso

Admin
I'm not being funny, but can you afford to go to a sauna and have a massage. I have found for me, that the voice gets louder and worse when I am stressed. I don't feel stressed, but it is an indication that I am, even if I am not aware of it. Getting my body relaxed and luxuriating for a short while, I find I come out and she has shut up and it lasts quite a long time. I know it can be a little expensive, especially if you are on benefits, so I put all my silver in my purse into a tin every day. Obviously if I can't afford to I don't, but gradually it mounts up and I go off there. Just a thought..........xxxx

M

mister_anon

I guess the reason the voice is bothering you is A) It is negative B) You seemingly cant escape it.

Some of the people here have already given you advice on how to temporarily get rid of a voice (ie. listening to relaxing music, watching a good movie, or something that engages your thoughts and senses). That is all temporary. If you want to deal with voice(s) permanently there are two ways to go about.

The medical model of approach to voice hearing is medication. Many people use medication to control the frequency or eliminate the voice hearing experience all together. Sometimes a person has to experiment with a lot of different medication and give each a good long trial at the recommened dosage. This does not always eliminate voices, but it usually controls to a certain degree the frequency. The problem with this approach is basically that it masks the symptom and does not deal with the root cause of the voice hearing experience, additionally all the medications have side effect and some of those side effects are lethal.

The above medical model approach does not cure voice hearing or any form of psychosis. It does not help you to intigrate the experience all it does is mask the symptom. To actually address the issues and even reasons for the voice hearing experience, one must use other approaches.

The first thing anyone should do when they start experiencing any psychotic symptom is to have blood work and other tests done to eliminate deficiencies, biological abnormalities, or allergies from the equation. Alcohol, smoking, marijuana, and illicit or illegal drugs can cause psychotic symptoms, so those all need to be stopped in stages and if necessary, under the care of a doctor to avoid withdrawal.

Once all the above potential chemical or biological causes of psychosis are eliminated and there is still a problem, the next step is to get therapy. This can come in the form of group therapy (as in the case of the INTERVOICE group networks which are available in Europe and the UK) or that can be in adjunct to individual talk therapy. In individual talk therapy, any pschological causes (such as past trauma or unresolved issues) can be addressed and brought to the surface and resolved to a degree. Additionally, talk therapies such as "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy" and "Dialectic" therapy can help a person deal with stress, negative thinking trends, and help develop methodes and thinking patterns to help with dealing with or even preventing damaging experiences.

For people experiencing first time psychosis, there is the various Soteria house projects in Europe and recently forming in the UK. The Soteria Project was started in southern California in the '70s as an experiment to deal with psychotics as an alternative to hospital settings. That initial project, headed by Loren Mosher (the former director of the National Institue of Mental Health) had quite a bit of success using non-drug, non-professional, treatment of first time psychotics. The program even reported success in treating people with long standing issues of psychosis.

So you can concentrate on short term, quick remedies for voices or you can focus on more long term resolution. There are no patent instant cures however, it is something that requires a lot of effort on both the part of the sufferer and those helping the person.

Last edited: