• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

what is the difference between psychosis and schizophrenia

K

karl7

does anyone know the difference

O

On Fire

It is just the word of a psychiatrist, and it seems to be fairly arbitrary.

Bipolarbear808

Bipolarbear808

Hi karl7,

I believe the short answer is that psychosis is a symptom, and schizophrenia is a diagnosis. I think psychosis is kind of a catch all for symptom that describe perceived false sensations like, hallucinations, delusions, disorganized thought, etc.

Also psychosis isn't just a symptom of Schizophrenia; it also applies to Schizoaffective disorder, Bipolar with psychotic features, and Substance induced psychosis.

Anyway thats just my take on things, hope that helps.

HLon99

HLon99

Psychosis is the acute state of losing touch with reality. It can be a symptom of many conditions such as Bipolar Disorder, BPD, Substance Abuse Disorder and is a primary symptoms of Schizophrenia. It can either be short term or long term.

Schizophrenia is a long term mental disorder which is charecterised by both acute and chronic states of psychosis, among other things

Passionflower

Passionflower

I had psychosis diagnosis until 6 months of psychosis went by and then the diagnosis changed to schizophrenia.

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Psychosis can be short term. Schizophrenia is a life long chronic illness where psychosis is one of the primary symptoms.

jajingna

jajingna

When I went through psychosis several years ago, I even wondered if I had schiz for a while, especially during recovery, the flatness seemed like "simple schiz" according to symptoms I've seen online.

The psychiatrist and social worker at the hospital weren't sure either as psychosis (and whatever illness that accompanies it) can be pretty tricky to figure out. The social worker thought I was schizophrenic. But I never was. The doc had a tentative diagnosis of "attenuated psychosis syndrome."

So psychosis can occur on its own, I think, or with other illness. Can be set off by trauma, stress, anxiety, depression etc.