What is the best medication for borderline personality disorder

L

Lucyleo19

Just wondering what the best meds are for bpd as I'm on olanzapine I'm gaining weight I have my mood is better at night then day

Lostinthestatic

Lostinthestatic

As far as I know, there aren’t any meds to specifically treat BPD; rather meds are prescribed to treat comorbid disorders, like depression and anxiety, or bipolar etc.

I have heard DBT is an effective treatment, don’t know if it is the most effective. There are many different names of types of therapy I have seen thrown around.

L

Lucyleo19

I have a mixture bipolar PTSD with depression anxiety my mood emotions are better at night why is this ?

L

Lucyleo19

I recently got diagnosed with bpd like I say I suffer more in the day then night

D

dewey

I recently got diagnosed with bpd like I say I suffer more in the day then night
You have both bipolar and bpd? You know bpd stands for borderline personality disorder not bipolar

D

dewey

Yes I'm more borderline personality disorder then bipolar that what I bin told
But they still gave you the bipolar diagnosis?
Shouldn't you discuss with your psychiatrist the best option for your medication?
Personally I have found venlafaxine extremely helpful for me, as used to be on escitalopram but after about four years that completely stopped working. After changing to venlafaxine much better, been on that for 2 years or so. But also have done DBT and psychodynamic therapy in the past 2 years. Also if you want to feel better you need to make life changes.
And bear in mind that different meds work for different people

L

Lucyleo19

But they still gave you the bipolar diagnosis?
Shouldn't you discuss with your psychiatrist the best option for your medication?
Personally I have found venlafaxine extremely helpful for me, as used to be on escitalopram but after about four years that completely stopped working. After changing to venlafaxine much better, been on that for 2 years or so. But also have done DBT and psychodynamic therapy in the past 2 years. Also if you want to feel better you need to make life changes.
And bear in mind that different meds work for different people
I got diagnosed bipolar when I was 21 put on olanzapine then I had a different physctrist who I got now he diagnosed me with emotional unstable personality disorder but my mental health worker said I show more personality disorder then bipolar all sound confusing I no olanzapine causing weight gain I'm on venflaxine 75mg slow release not feeling the effect from them anymore

megirl

megirl

I also have BPD and bipolar,yes you can have a duel diagnosis.
Bipolar,is treated with medication.
Bipolar is caused by biochemical changes in the brain.
BPD is a result of some form if childhiid abuse,treatment and neglect.
There are some crossover symptoms but BPD results in extreme mood changes, with abandonment issues

4EVRHSP

4EVRHSP

my mood is better at night then day
This happened to me when I was at my worst in depression. I have no idea why this is scientifically but to me I felt like the day held further pressures to be 'normal' and 'functioning'. It's the hours where the world was happening and I felt that despite my sunken mental state I had to try and 'function' as normal as possible which felt impossible. During the night, I was free to delve into myself and there was less pressure to be 'functioning'.

Luci

Luci

I have been on Venlafaxine for 4 years now. I have had to increase the dose twice in this time but I'm down to 1x75 morning and 2x75 night. I've personally found this the most helpful out of the other meds I have tried. I was on slow release during my pregnancy but find the 'normal' one more effective. I have not had problems with any side effects but an electric shock sensation when I was on 4x75 and a reduction helped that.

Hope this is helpful?