• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What is the alternative to Olanzapine?

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Hi,

I just need something antipsychotic as I had 3 psychotic episodes over 19 years- every time I got off meds, which was three times.

I wish I could come off meds but I can't! Because I always have an episode if I do... :( it sucks!

Is there anything that is antipsychotic but NOT SEDATIVE... so that you can feel motivates and energised.

Really appreciate the answers! Many thanks :)

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Aripiprazole apparently you gain less weight, but i don't know about sedation. Anti psychotics are tranquilisers so are sedating.

I know how you feel, although i take an anticonvulsant, and i sleep the whole night and also for 2-3 hours during the day. I think it might be my illness that makes me sleep as well as the medication though.

N

natalie

Aripipazole, or otherwise known, as Abilify, is certainly less weight gaining.

In terms of wondering about sedat ion, I take Abilify so iknow, is a much more alerting, more awake med.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Aripiprazole apparently you gain less weight, but i don't know about sedation. Anti psychotics are tranquilisers so are sedating.

I know how you feel, although i take an anticonvulsant, and i sleep the whole night and also for 2-3 hours during the day. I think it might be my illness that makes me sleep as well as the medication though.
Thank you Thawny! Yes, totally the same, can stay in bed till noon easily, and I hate it! Sleepy most of the time and it makes me feel depressed :(

Take care :)

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Aripipazole, or otherwise known, as Abilify, is certainly less weight gaining.

In terms of wondering about sedat ion, I take Abilify so iknow, is a much more alerting, more awake med.
Thanks so much Natalie! That's what I'm thinking of... so good to hear that you feel more alert on it! I hope my doctor will change me to it... and will not oppose.

Any major side effects?

HLon99

HLon99

Aripiprazole definitely worth a try. No sedation past the initial 2 weeks, little to no weight gain or any of the other nasty side effects of antipsychotics such as high blood pressure/blood sugar. Some people describe a feeling of restlessness when they are on it, but I have not personally experienced this, although I am on a low dose.

Here's a handy chart comparing antipsychotics and their side effects.

Attachments

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Aripiprazole definitely worth a try. No sedation past the initial 2 weeks, little to no weight gain or any of the other nasty side effects of antipsychotics such as high blood pressure/blood sugar. Some people describe a feeling of restlessness when they are on it, but I have not personally experienced this, although I am on a low dose.

Here's a handy chart comparing antipsychotics and their side effects.

Really helpful!!! Thanks very much

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Thanks so much Natalie! That's what I'm thinking of... so good to hear that you feel more alert on it! I hope my doctor will change me to it... and will not oppose.

Any major side effects?

As far as i know, the activation feature of Aripiprazole means that some people can have Akathisia as a side effect. I only took it for 5 days because it was unbearable, but i know other people who didn't have that side effect at all.

The doctor said it might go away but i didn't think i could cope any longer.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

As far as i know, the activation feature of Aripiprazole means that some people can have Akathisia as a side effect. I only took it for 5 days because it was unbearable, but i know other people who didn't have that side effect at all.

The doctor said it might go away but i didn't think i could cope any longer.
what is it?? What happens when you experience Akathisia ?