• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is paranoia?

M

milly

I would like to know the definition of paranoia and if it is what I am experiencing. I am overcoming a depression phase and manic phase or you can call it a mixed ep as my dose just got increased.

So basically I experience (on and off) when I am at work this sense that my colleagues dislike me. They dislike me for having this condition and always going on about how miserable my life is. I did this when I got really depressed. I feel like a bloody burden and they don't like me working with them. I don't feel they mean any harm to me. I really like them but can't see why they like me. and I know I am being irrational but I cannot shake the thoughts when I get them. Is that paranoia? Also the way they talk to me, the tone of their voice, perhaps they are having a bad day but I take it personally.

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi,

IMO that is not paranoia in the sense that it is often used in MH - you know, people who think others are poisoning their food or that the FBI is spying on them and so on.

I think it is quite common to have those thoughts in depression, when we don't feel good about ourselves, I am the same I wonder how people could like me and so on. It may be as well that you are picking up on body language and so on and thinking it is about you. Have any of them given you any indication that they think those bad things about you? If not then it might be the depression telling you that they dislike you.

Have you ever had CBT? It can be quite helpful at challenging those thoughts, if the thoughts are irrational.

Maybe also you might want to look into ways of boosting your self esteem. I've heard that people who feel good about themselves don't worry about what other people think of them, though I wouldn't know.

I can identify with what you say though, i get like that around people. x

D

Deliah

Being shit scared in a way that makes the most unthreatening things appear threatening. Actually, I don't have actual words to describe this fear which is all consuming. Doesn't sound like you have it to my ears. D x

D

Daniel1993

I feel like people can hear my thoughts, as if they are being broadcasted.