• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What is ONE thing you did that helped your self esteem?

M

Mav2126

Just curious of any tips out there about ONE thing that they have done that actually increased their self esteem. One thing I am going to try and do going forward is to meditate going forward and hoping it helps. What about you what is ONE thing that actually helped you?

Desire less

Desire less

One thing... i had many things, but mainly achieving goals.
Now i achieve it by letting go achieving goals outside myself.

C

CabbageMama

Looking after myself better in general helps boost my self esteem. So..... Using the nicest toiletries I have, pampering myself a bit. Eating good food, because I am worth it, sometimes spending a little more on ingredients that make a special meal. Carving out time for myself, so that I can have space from looking after everybody else. Wearing my nicer clothes, even if nobody else will see them, because it makes me feel better about myself. Stuff like that really helps me, but I have to be in the zone to do it, if you know what I mean. When I am bad, I just can’t do any of it, even though I know it will help. Currently, things like this are making a big difference to me.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Finding a potential love interest has boosted my self esteem quite a lot, we met on a mental health dating site.

I'm not bipolar, I'm just a voice hearer but she is bipolar. She confesses to having some self esteem issues herself so I hope my interest in her will boost them as much as her interest in me boosts mine.

Just waiting for covid restrictions to end and allow us to meet in person so I can tell her to her face just how great I think she is.

C

CabbageMama

NWiddi, please let us live vicariously through you and let us know how the relationship develops. It’s funny, I have been so shattered and scarred by love personally, but it in general still lifts and swells my heart! I fucking love love. 🙂❤

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I'm a person of Faith, so I believe that God made each of us for a reason. It's not just about folks with physical beauty, or smarts, or wealth, or prestige, or public image-it's about each and every one of us. I used to have a pretty poor self-image, but when you recognize we're all of equal value in God's eyes it helps you with self-esteem. I also enjoy doing things to help needy folks, that helps me feel good about myself and my purpose on this earth. Good luck!

T

timing

My self-esteem was skewed for more than 40 years. A series of traumatic events when I was very young messed with a healthy equation. Finally, someone told me to go back and grieve for the child, who was me. Although late in coming, I was free to see myself in a new and good way.

G

Gratefultobewell

This is a great thread. I think I am still searching for something to help. I’m not as bad as I have been, but I still seem to focus on all the negative things I have done. Meditation has helped somewhat. I‘m interested in hearing what people say here.

Zana

Zana

Right now it's just about achieving simple goals each day. If I can get up at a reasonably consistent time, do some exercise and eat well, that's a confidence boost. A few days of that in succession and I can face the world.

jajingna

jajingna

Changing my diet. Cutting out the sweets and junk. Clears up the mind a bit, and lost pounds I did not like having. Went from eating often to much less because a lot of it was just nonsense foods anyway, stuff that just kept me wanting more of the same. It hasn't made me much more confident or anything, but it was a good step to take and is something in my control that I've been able to stay with for almost a year now.

M

Mav2126

I'm a person of Faith, so I believe that God made each of us for a reason. It's not just about folks with physical beauty, or smarts, or wealth, or prestige, or public image-it's about each and every one of us. I used to have a pretty poor self-image, but when you recognize we're all of equal value in God's eyes it helps you with self-esteem. I also enjoy doing things to help needy folks, that helps me feel good about myself and my purpose on this earth. Good luck!
Hi Alexander - its very very interesting that you bring up God. I have a good friend who had many similar problems to us related to mental health. He found God and has a deep belief in the bible. The man is like a solid rock of confidence now. He knows the important thing in life is being a good person and thats it - money, homes, beautiful women, all are not important to him. The funny thing is he is so confident that he makes a ton of money in his job because nothing stresses him because he knows work is not important.