What is merit to you?

Kerome

Kerome

So in my continuing examination of the spiritual side of life I have come across the question of merit. Something is usually said to have merit if it is praiseworthy and brings advancement, and most people do aim to live their lives in a way that has merit. But peoples definition seems to vary quite a lot...

For example my folks, with whom I am staying, answered the question by saying that merely being, bringing awareness to your inner and outer life and living your life in accordance with your inner dictates, is meritorious. But perhaps thats a rather simple answer - what about violent impulses or caring for or aiding others?

So I thought I would throw the question out there. What do you all think is meritorious, and does this definition help you direct your life?

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
So I thought I would throw the question out there. What do you all think is meritorious, and does this definition help you direct your life?
i think that it's an interesting question, i agree with what Pepecat was discussing in another thread yesterday - For me, in part it's about trying to follow certain principles, similar in a way to what your folks discussed. An aspect of all religious/spiritual teachings seems to be that - trying to adhere to certain principles - Thich Nhat Hanh i think is a very good example of that.

Acceptance/Allowance.
Gratitude/Thankfulness.
Non-Judgement.
Non-Attachment.
Loving Kindness.
Peace/Harmony.
Humility.
Truth - Honesty, Open Mindedness, Willingness.
Service.
Forgiveness, of self & others.

Etc. Can go on & on.

i don't see why any of it has to be complex?

& No i am Not a Saint, Nor Enlightened, & don't think i am, have loads of faults, & i far from live up to any ideals.

In essence my focus/ideal is on my own conscious awareness, growth, learning & experience - we can only live our own life. My focus is on my own path, truth & Being. My focus is on my own healing & transformation - & that i think is paradoxically potentially the best gift that we can offer this World.

i care less & less what others think. My merit is within my own progress from who i was. It's between me & God.

The Man In The Glass

Peter Dale Wimbrow Sr.

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you king for a day
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that man has to say.

For it isn’t your father, or mother, or wife
Whose judgment upon you must pass
The fellow whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

He’s the fellow to please – never mind all the rest
For he’s with you, clear to the end
And you’ve passed your most difficult, dangerous test
If the man in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you’ve cheated the man in the glass.

Kerome

Kerome

I do agree with you, all those things such as Loving Kindness, serving truth and humility and so on are meritorious, but I also think there is a much more difficult to define portion to this. I think most people would agree they are meritorious, but few people strive for them... so few truly see them as a guide to steer your life by, which I feel is interesting. It makes me wonder if a lot of people are not a lot more self-serving, and underneath it all say, thats a great attitude for others to have so they can help me more, but I am going to help myself first and foremost mwhuahaha.

I think self realisation is largely about coming to terms with this tendency, this hidden agenda which maybe has been lurking around since your childhood and the rules of the playground. You end up having to root out the depressive, negative aspects of your life, all the self-serving crap, and ultimately try to realise that much of the value of your life is about how much wisdom you can leave behind, how much positive feeling, how much love, how much merit.

Its not an easy question to answer. If you do admit, things like service, humility and forgiveness are meritorious, you ultimately either turn yourself into a hypocrite or end up discarding your pride and ego and become a new person. There don't seem to be so many who walk that path... a lot of people don't even ask the question, and are unconsciously hypocritical about it.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think self realisation is largely about coming to terms with this tendency, this hidden agenda which maybe has been lurking around since your childhood and the rules of the playground. You end up having to root out the depressive, negative aspects of your life, all the self-serving crap, and ultimately try to realise that much of the value of your life is about how much wisdom you can leave behind, how much positive feeling, how much love, how much merit.

Its not an easy question to answer. If you do admit, things like service, humility and forgiveness are meritorious, you ultimately either turn yourself into a hypocrite or end up discarding your pride and ego and become a new person. There don't seem to be so many who walk that path... a lot of people don't even ask the question, and are unconsciously hypocritical about it.
For me i find it best to try & forget where a lot of other people may be at with it all, & try & focus as best i can on my own path, & doing my best to accept/allow others to be as they are.

We can 'only' do our best & what we can with the resources that we have available, But yes, a 'disciplined spiritual path' i don't think is easy, nor for the faint of heart.

cpuusage

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i like a lot of what Vernon Howard had to say on it all. i get his quotes in my e-mail in box every morning. This was today's -

"Remember, destructive egotism never calls itself egotism, but
masquerades as love, generosity, helpfulness."

1500 Ways to Escape the Human Jungle, # 86

i also have a load of his books.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Howard

New Life - Vernon Howard

He kind of mixes psychology & spirituality, & very directly seeing everything as it is.

The question for me is very much related to the schizophrenia diagnosis & associated experiences, in how i can find/attain a deeper resolution to certain things, healing & transformation. & how much that is possible to do, as well as trying to live as well, & as good a life as i can.

i do see a lot, imo, concerns an inner transformation. At the same time i think that things can have a danger of getting too myopic & insular if you're always focusing on the inner World, it seems to be about finding some kind of a balance in living life as best/fully that we can, & also doing the inner work.

For me, i feel a lot does also depend of where the individual Soul is at within it's own Journey, which i feel is unique in ways to all of us. Our circumstances, experiences & everything else, are in certain ways unique, & Not really comparable.