• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is happening to me?

P

pilesofsavan

Hi, this is my first thread on the forum.

Back in November of 2014 I began hearing voices, seeing things, and experiencing a lot of paranoia. I would hear things such as crowds of voices, someone calling my name, or someone faintly mumbling - all lasting for a few seconds. I would see things such as quick movements out of the corner of my eye, faint persons walking through trees, and I believed that someone is always watching me somewhere and somehow and are out to get me, and that I am also always being listened to. I was put on Latuda and it gave me short seizures and very negative effects so I stopped it all together. The symptoms went away for a while, and they are currently back again for the past 2 weeks. I was at a wedding and couldn't eat the food provided because I believed it had been poisoned and I didn't want to risk it. I also believe that everyone secretly knows that I have these sort of problems. I became very uninterested in everything, I can barely carry on conversation with friends and family. I go through the motions of life every day but I never feel like I am actually participating, like it's a dream and I am feeling nothing. I don't understand how I experienced this and it went away for a while, and now it is heavily returning. Has anyone ever experienced this type of thing? Will it go away and return once again? Someone please help me understand.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would imagine a lot of people here have experienced similar stuff. I hallucinate quite often and get very paranoid about things.

Have you gone to see your GP about it?? or told anyone?? xx

E

Elizabeth1

I went through a similar experience 2 years ago. A year ago I was put on risperidone which I believe is an anti psychotic. Since then I have been ok and trust my doctor to prescribe the right medication for me. If I wss you I would go to your GP and ask to be referred to the Community Mental Health Team for an assessment for treatment and support of a Community Psychiatric Nurse.

P

pilesofsavan

Yes I have. I have an appointment Friday with my therapist to talk about everything that's been going on. I'm desperately hoping that they don't put me on another anti psychotic like Latuda that had such negative effects on me.

P

pilesofsavan

I have been receiving treatment for years now. I hope they can pin point what's wrong this time. Do you know if a brain test can be performed to see exactly what's going on?

P

pilesofsavan

After going to a few more assessments, they say to just watch closely on how I'm feeling, and that they believe it's a big part of my anxiety disorder and paranoia. After some time, these feelings and hallucinations disappeared again. It comes back in waves.

Kerome

Kerome

It's very possible. It certainly has all the hallmarks of psychosis, probably caused by anxiety and paranoia. But as long as you can avoid acting on what voices are saying or having delusions that are dangerous to yourself or others, you can get away with not medicating. At least now you have some contacts.

If it gets too bad, you can always go back for a different antipsychotic, the fact that you reacted badly to one doesn't necessarily mean you will react badly to others, they can vary widely in side effects. Even a standard GP can prescribe you some Risperidone, if necessary.

But in the meantime I'd keep a good eye on things. Make sure you sleep well, often sustained insomnia is a big trigger for psychosis, and it only takes three days. Look up sleep hygiene if you have trouble. Staying away from stimulants like coffee is a good idea too. And look up a good nutritionist, they should be able to tell you what deficiencies could cause these conditions, often a shortage of zinc or magnesium can be the cause of decreased ability to cope.