• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is derealization and how is it treated?

Lizaje

Lizaje

I've read about it, I just can't decide if I have it or not.

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH3

Hello.
Do you see a psychiatrist? They'll be able to help with diagnosis. We can't do that here. ✌

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

I think it's pretty much treated with talk therapy. Finding the source of the issue and talking about it, learning to ground yourself.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Well I read more of it elsewhere and I'm pretty sure that's what I have pretty much all the time. And knowing that helps me none I guess:(

Lavender_Rose

Lavender_Rose

Well I read more of it elsewhere and I'm pretty sure that's what I have pretty much all the time. And knowing that helps me none I guess:(
I always find some kinds peace in knowledge but it may not be the same for you. Understanding of why I might be doing certain things or that it's not just something I'm making up is comforting to me. But as much as I hate admitting it I think I like reassurance in my life. If ever available to you talking to your doctor or seeking out therapy might help you feel a sense of relief in getting some stuff off your chest. Then it's not just words on a screen for you.

Lizaje

Lizaje

But as much as I hate admitting it I think I like reassurance in my life. If ever available to you talking to your doctor or seeking out therapy might help you feel a sense of relief in getting some stuff off your chest.
Yeah, I am in MH treatment. But the people around me don't understand mh problems so this derealization thing, for instance, the cause doesn't matter, I can't get things done or act happy, that's the problem. I don't need assurance for myself, except of that other people can accept me and why would they when I can't even be present when I'm present. 🥺

Lance__

Lance__

I would say that knowing you have derealization can be helpful for you, to know more about how your brain works, and also when seeing a therapist, this way he/she will know better how to help you. Maybe grounding techniques will be helpful to stay present when having a derealization episode. There are many different tricks/techniques, so you can try several until you find the one that suits you better.
I hope you can feel your emotions and get things done. :hug:

Lizaje

Lizaje

Maybe grounding techniques will be helpful to stay present when having a derealization episode.
But I don't have episodes I have this feeling all the time. It can be gone for like 10 seconds at a time extremely rarely and I can tell how that normal feeling is so different.

Lance__

Lance__

But I don't have episodes I have this feeling all the time. It can be gone for like 10 seconds at a time extremely rarely and I can tell how that normal feeling is so different.
Sorry to hear that, years ago I used to have derealization too constantly during the day, so I can relate to it. Maybe exploring the root of your dissociation can help. In my case derealization was caused mainly by an extreme anxiety and stress, so when I worked on it through therapy and meds the derealization went away. Can you think of a reason in your case?

Lizaje

Lizaje

Sorry to hear that, years ago I used to have derealization too constantly during the day, so I can relate to it. Maybe exploring the root of your dissociation can help. In my case derealization was caused mainly by an extreme anxiety and stress, so when I worked on it through therapy and meds the derealization went away. Can you think of a reason in your case?
It could be one of many or many together. Anxiety, depression, trauma. I've been to counselling for years and been using different medications for years too.

T

TyFence

How are you not present when present, listen to the people. They are there, what they are saying, feel something for them. You feel it’s not real? Get involved in it a little, listen.

Lizaje

Lizaje

How are you not present when present, listen to the people. They are there, what they are saying, feel something for them. You feel it’s not real? Get involved in it a little, listen.
I don't feel present in my head. It's not something I can control just like that. So far I don't know of a way I can control it at all no matter how hard I try. I do listen to people.

This one person complains to me that I don't listen though. They need to repeat what they say to me frequently because I can't catch the meaning on the first time. But it's something strange. I do listen. I try to listen and concentrate fully. I do, as far as I can. But I just can't catch what they say the first time. Often it's when we're on the phone - face time. Could be because the sound just isn't that clear or because I can't see their body language. I kind of feel like it's unfair to accuse me of it as though it did it on purpose, though I understand its irritating. I do think I've always had issues speaking on the phone.. Particularly in understanding others on the phone.

Anyway,i do listen and I do feel. I feel too much. But my feelings, too, might not be related to the present discussion.

T

TyFence

Well keep at it then because you are training you mind. Every day you are training your mind to do what you want it to Do. Little steps every day.

Lance__

Lance__

I feel too much. But my feelings, too, might not be related to the present discussion.
Maybe it is not related, but if you feel too much, maybe you are a highly sensitive person (HSP), and your mind is using dissociation as a defensive coping mechanism to not overwhelm you with the intense emotions you may be feeling.