what is DBT and how does it help ?

BPDevil

BPDevil

I'm on a list for it, all I know is that there is 1-1 therapy and group therapy involved which I'm dreading

and what other therapies besides CBT and DBT are there that can help with BPD ?

BPDevil

BPDevil

I've already read that, people's experiences of it can be different than what it says on a fucking online article

why every time I ask a question here everyone ignored am I really worth that little

G

Girl interupted

You’re having a bad day. Hang in there kiddo.

DBT is like meditation, it’s a tool you use when you are struggling to distract your brain from the perceived crisis. It could use something simple like forcing yourself to name every street you’ve lived on, in chronological order. It’s very useful for getting past an immediate crisis and over time becomes the go-to method for deescalation.

Mindful meditation does similar things. It focuses you on your breathing, recognizing what type of thoughts you’re having (feeling vs thinking), and gently guides you back to emptying or quieting your mind. If you haven’t tried the Headspace app yet, do so. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it’s pretty user friendly.

BPDevil

BPDevil

distractions as well are hard to focus on when things get too bad

doing something destructive is the only way to feel relief sometimes

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m trying my hardest at the moment to conquer my problem with SH. It’s been almost a year for me now. It is a constant battle to distract myself. I have thought of having a tatto on my arm to cover up the marks

BPDevil

BPDevil

I’m trying my hardest at the moment to conquer my problem with SH. It’s been almost a year for me now. It is a constant battle to distract myself. I have thought of having a tatto on my arm to cover up the marks
i don't SH that often, i once went 7-8 months, i didn't really notice i had stopped until i started getting urges, but then it all started again because its the only way to calm down now when emotions get too out of control or i feel like lashing out at someone

what distractions do you use

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s usually night time when I’m worse. So I usually get up and make tea. I also use the standard one of snapping a rubber band on my wrist. Plus I no longer have my harm box in the bedroom . It’s in a top cupboard in another room and I would need to get a stool to reach it. Overall I make it as difficult as possible for myself. But there again it would depend on what you do as everyone’s is different. After my partner died I chopped all my hair off, because I was soothed by the sound of scissors cutting my hair. Cutting my hair is something I’ve done since childhood.

BPDevil

BPDevil

one of those has worked for me too sometimes because i read online that you should put what you harm yourself with far away or high up so it takes more effort and have more time to think or something

J

JimD

You’re having a bad day. Hang in there kiddo.

DBT is like meditation, it’s a tool you use when you are struggling to distract your brain from the perceived crisis. It could use something simple like forcing yourself to name every street you’ve lived on, in chronological order. It’s very useful for getting past an immediate crisis and over time becomes the go-to method for deescalation.

Mindful meditation does similar things. It focuses you on your breathing, recognizing what type of thoughts you’re having (feeling vs thinking), and gently guides you back to emptying or quieting your mind. If you haven’t tried the Headspace app yet, do so. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it’s pretty user friendly.

I'm going to try that headspace app I've heard good things about it...

S

so sad

Hi

Mindfulness is only one of 4 elements of DBT although it does run through everything.
The other parts are Distress Tolerance, Interpersonal Effectiveness and Emotional Regulation. Its all about learning the skills to help you get through the pain and learn more effective ways of doing it.
Mindfulness is all about knowing what is going on in your head and body. The better you get at it, the quicker you work out what is causing the distress. Before DBT I always thought that my emotions went from 0 - 100 in a second. I now know that's not the case. There is always a thought that triggers it all off but its impossible to identify it if we don't know what is going on in ourselves. Once we catch the though, we can work out what emotion it is we're feeling and do something about it.
Interpersonal Effectiveness is about how to deal with others. How you ask for something, how to make your point, how to work out what is important to you within that interaction and what skills to use to get there.
Distress Tolerance is skills to help you not turn to self harm, drinking, drugs etc. They are very much things you can do in that moment to bring down the emotion.
Emotional Regulation helps you to identify the emotion, work out if its the right one for the situation and then what to do to manage it either way.
I'm 6 months into DBT and still have a way to go but it has made a huge difference. I was terrified of the group thing to start with but its great. Its not about sitting and talking about your problems, its about talking about the skills and supporting each other. You learn a lot from listening to others. The 1-2-1 therapist is also very important. Its your time and space to talk about things that have been a problem in the week and they'll help you practise the skills in a safe environment.
From what I know, DBT is the best therapy for BPD. I've had CBT and it didn't make a difference. The woman who created DBT suffered from BPD herself and you can tell that someone who knows all about it is the brains behind it.
Hope that helps.
If you have any specific questions, please let me know
SS

BPDevil

BPDevil

thanks sosad, that helps a lot, thats literally everything i need to work on and yeah i had cbt for about a year i didn't find it useful at all

G

Girl interupted

Just checking in, did you start? How is it going?