• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What is Cyclothymia?

h_put2021

h_put2021

I was told the symptom that differentiates mania and hypomania is psychosis (hearing voices or sounds that aren’t real, feeling super powered, basically losing touch with reality)
Yes — that’s what I meant by delusions. That’s part of psychosis. Believing things that aren’t real or disassociating from reality. I’ve never had hallucinations though.

calypso

calypso

Admin
I was told the symptom that differentiates mania and hypomania is psychosis (hearing voices or sounds that aren’t real, feeling super powered, basically losing touch with reality)
I am diagnosed with bipolar two and still get voices and occasional delusions so I'm afraid that isn't the case. I know that in all the books they say that but its not in reality according to my psychiatrist

h_put2021

h_put2021

I am diagnosed with bipolar two and still get voices and occasional delusions so I'm afraid that isn't the case. I know that in all the books they say that but its not in reality according to my psychiatrist
Agreed. and the diagnosis is not "one size fits all." I also have Bipolar II and have similar symptoms as you mentioned.

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
cyclothymia is a lame euphamism for what should be called bipolar type 3

actually bipolar should have 5 levels. make it more accurate

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can relate with many of your descriptions. My last official diagnosis, about 20 years ago, was cyclothimia!

Except for one thing, which is my anger, which is not exclusive to either state!
is it anger or is it rage?

bottled rage is a natural response to years of injustice

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The depression is typically milder than BP2 or BP1 depression. In my case, I sleep a lot and I am rather sedentary. The hypomanic phase I am insomniac.

more serotonin > less sleep
less serotonin > more sleep

A

andrasnm

Well, I am not checking my serotonin level as COVID hysteria slowed down many medical procedures, I cannot even get my colonoscopy till spring it seems.
I do not see why cyclothymia should be called anything else! It is many cases never diagnosed and never treated. People just learn to cope with it.
Amazingly sometimes there is an event that pushes you over the top that I'm my case was a spiritual event. It was then I was diagnosed. The only major depression I had was due to good cause but the psychiatric establishment does not care. If you had ANY depression with some hypomania, you are mentally ill! In many cases it maybe true but how often is it complete BS?

Kezav18

Kezav18

Thank you for such a clear and understandable explanation.

I feel it answers a lot of my experiences.
I have been mood stabilisers for years as well as many antidepressants.

I feel because I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety and avoidant personality.
I asked the psychiatrist if she thought I had anything like bipolar.
She laughed and said if you had and I brought someone in, you would be dancing around naked.

The explanation you have given I can identify with.
I may try to visit my GP and give her a clearer idea of how I feel.

I no longer have the psychiatrist and the team as so many mistakes have been made by them.

I only want to be involved with my GP.

Thank you once again,

Pollypop x
Dear Polly.

I have read your horrible experience what you had with your psychiatrist, and I'm really sorry to hear that. What sort of answer is that to give to someone who is poorly. I couldn't believe with the answer she gave you. Very unprofessional, disgusting and I hope she isn't working in the mental health profession anymore when she's treating patients like that.

I connect with you on this aswell. My last appointment with my psychiatrist didn't go to well either. He asked me if I'm eating well, if I have enough support for my mental health etc. I said I have the support I need, however my eating habits aren't very good. They are ok for a while, then my mental health detoriates again and then they are all over the place. I went to see him, because my old antidepressants stopped working. He just replied with "so you are ok, you aren't that bad compared to other patients I see." Yet he said if my new antidepressants don't work, he wanted to put me on antipsychotics. I couldn't believe his answer. How the heck does he know if I'm ok. He doesn't know what's gone on in my head. And no way I'm going on antipsychotics, when I haven't even been diagnosed with anything. My current antidepressants are enough.

So I discharged myself from the mental health team. I speak to my GP now who is actually good and listens to me in a professional manner. I have been referred again by them to the mental health team. I just hope my appointment goes well this time.

I hope you are getting the right support you need for your condition.
Have a Merry Christmas
Keza
XxXx

MaxVanz

MaxVanz

Thanks for the more detailed and correct wording.