• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

what is conversion disorder?

H

HONEYSWEET

what is conversion disorder?

keepsafe

keepsafe

There is a thread for it, I don;t know - are you ok??

M

mollycat

Founding Member
HI there

In a nutshell....CONVERSION DISORDER IS A PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS
........a disorder where a person gets symptoms which suggest a serious disease of the brain or nerves (a neurological disease usually mimicing Multiple Scelrosis).

For example, some of the symptoms include blindness, deafness, weakness, paralysis, numbness of arms or legs to name but a few.

The symptoms usually develop quickly in 'response' to a stressful situation and apparently you unconsciously 'convert' your mental stress into a physical symptom resulting in something which can mimic a neurological illness!

Hope that helps?

Mollycat

H

HONEYSWEET

wow the brain is a powerful thing! thanks 4 replying

hi keepsafe, i am at mo but hormones keeps going loopy, hopefully i will get my good wk soon:) thanks for asking:)

G

grace68

is conversion disorder the same as somatisation disorder? i got a friend diagnosed with somatisation disorder, but she won't acknowledge that she has any psych problems at all. she is in a really bad way, bedbound, terrible abdo pain, (on loads of pain killers and anti-sickness and muscle relaxing drugs) constant vomiting, and incontinent. the doctors in the hospital just don't seem to know how to deal with her. they seem to want to withdraw all physical treatment, and are refusing any further surgery. i just can't see a way forward for my friend, as she won't admit to psych problems and the doctors say that they can't find any physical explanation for her symptons.

T

tinkerbell007

Hi Im new on here and I have conversion disorder since June 2008

Im 23 and i was taken to hospital and I was diagnosed. I also have NEAD it can cause all kinds of problems but if your friend got the right kind of help and good doctors she would realise that it is not something that hopefully could not be fixed. I have had pyhscotherapy and was taking all kinds of druggs until this year i realised i do not need them as it is not real mainly took them because i really badly suffer from blackouts. She will need time it took me a long time to come to terms with my illness and realise that there is something wrong with my brain but it is not my fault. I have also been bedbound but i have a fantastic partner who has given up his job to care for me.. Please give her time and support and maybe suggest her talking to therapits or another doctor who may be able to help her more.