• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What is BPD? A brief explanation:

N

Nukelavee

HLon has a good point - getting or feeling better just doesn't happen, it takes work, even with drugs. Self-medicating doesn't help, and stuff like Valium is dangerous long term.

clearly your anxiety is out of control, which really sucks. As long it it has a hold of you, you are going to find it hard to figure out a plan to improve.

do you know what your anxiety triggers are?

D

Debaura500

ACCOUNT CLOSED
how well you're holding it together x

Nutsy

Nutsy

Could this group name and sticky thread be amended to include the term Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD) please? Not everyone knows that they're the same thing and that EUPD is becoming the preferred term for our diagnosis these days.

N

Nukelavee

Could this group name and sticky thread be amended to include the term Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (EUPD) please? Not everyone knows that they're the same thing and that EUPD is becoming the preferred term for our diagnosis these days.
I don't know that I like EUPD anymore than BPD, to be honest.

Nutsy

Nutsy

It's my preference, but they're both not great. Still, it's the way a lot of professionals and MH services are going.

I

Ifinallyknowwhy

hi BorderlineDownunder
I am a new member. I am from Ontario Canada. I currently live in Toronto but I have to move. Long crazy story. I am to unstable to work or rather working makes me unstable. I have a low tolerance to being used or abused at work yet I let my daughter walk all over me. But then again allot of guilt around her because I made her sick like me. Borderlines can't live together. That I am sure of. This next move will be the 20th time in my life I have had to start over. This time however will be the hardest. Rents are completely out of reach for me in the city. I will be homeless by end of March and frankly right now I am so ready to throw away everything I own and just get on a bus and keeping going until I end up in a ditch somewhere to die. I've live like this too long and no professional help has ever helped. Meds just make me more delusional and eventually sick from prolonged side effects or the meds just stop working. Opiates work though but of course they are illegal and painfully addictive. I am finished with all the drug abuse. Stopped all meds 2 months ago. O hell I don't know why I am unloading on you. Sorry but I just feel so hopeless and done for.
i feel just like you. Today not as much as a few weeks ago. Shoot me an inbox if you just need a friend

D

DJY

Borderline Personality Disorder is one of ten personality disorders recognised by the DSM IV.

A personality disorder is a type of mental illness and to be diagnosed particular criteria must be met. With personality disorders, the symptoms have usually been present for a long time. These symptoms have an overall negative affect on the sufferer’s life.

One of the core signs and symptoms in BPD is the proneness to impulsive behaviour. This impulsiveness can manifest itself in negative ways. For example, self-harm is common among individuals with BPD and in many instances, this is an impulsive act. Sufferers of BPD can also be prone to angry outbursts and possibly criminal offences (mainly in male sufferers) as a result of impulsive urges.

Another common feature of BPD is affective lability. This means that sufferers have trouble stabilising moods and as a result, mood changes can become erratic. Other characteristics of this condition include reality distortion, tendency to see things in ‘black and white’ terms, excessive behaviour such as gambling or sexual promiscuity, and proneness to depression.
(To learn more about symptoms and diagnostic criteria please go to the section on diagnostic criteria.)

These traits can sometimes make it very difficult for a person to maintain a relationship with someone with BPD as their behaviour and actions can be difficult to tolerate and hard to understand. It is important for persons close to a BPD sufferer to educate themselves on the condition so they can empathise with what the sufferer is going through and how they are feeling.

BPD is not usually diagnosed before adolescence. It has been suggested that BPD symptoms can sometimes improve as time goes on or even disappear all together. This is not always the case however as BPD can continue to affect sufferers well into later life.

Traits from other mental illnesses and psychological conditions from the DSM IV can often co-exist in BPD patients. These are usually anxiety disorders, eating disorders, obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and bipolar disorder (also known as manic depression)

Further information can be found at:

Welcome to BPDWORLD
Thank you for this it helps me make sense of my behaviour and my husband can start to understand a bit of why I have been having these behavioral problems

A

Anji

Having BPD is a nightmare. I've always wanted to read the book "I hate you, Don't leave me." That's pretty much how it is. I have bipolar 1 with psychotic episodes, PTSD, borderline personality disorder, paranoid personality disorder, antisocial personality disorder, schizotypal personality disorder and I am agoraphobic and severely social phobic. I also have generalized anxiety disorder and worry about everything non-stop. If there's nothing to worry about my mind will make something up. My mind can go to some very dark places. It has been a nightmare living with all of this. BPD can be very dangerous. Mixed with bipolar it is a recipe for disaster. I've sent plenty of people running away from me. Not something I'm proud of.

G

GERMANCAROL

thank you so much both of you
xx
I was diagnosed with recurrent depression many many years ago and ocd I take a mood stabilizer ,antipschotic and anti depressant.
reading on the internet about BPD and aspergers ,I guess I could be either with some of the symptoms I have.
hopefully they will make their minds up soon/cpn and pdoc and I will get the right treatment
xx
I also have social anxiety and am extremely unstable emotionally and have separation anxiety and cannot be away from my mum ,am not really grown up emotionally either ,so I don't know which I am.
maybe they don't know either!
anyway ,sorry for taking over this thread ,I shall say no more now
xx

D

Dwight7

I knew the criteria and symptoms of BPD. But after receiving the diagnosis, I went home and googled it. I stayed up all night reading “horror stories” about BPD...both from mental health professionals and average people. I have never spoken about it to anyone, for fear they will google it. I suffer in silence.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I knew the criteria and symptoms of BPD. But after receiving the diagnosis, I went home and googled it. I stayed up all night reading “horror stories” about BPD...both from mental health professionals and average people. I have never spoken about it to anyone, for fear they will google it. I suffer in silence.
Hi Dwight, not every symptom will apply to everyone with BPD. I try not to google too much. It's upsetting. Instead I try to work on something that I want to work through to feel and do better.

D

Deleted member 96813

Yes Google is not a friend to bpd. It makes me feel hopeless

Nutsy

Nutsy

Is a mod going to look at this, or at the very least do anything other than ignore it? Some kind of acknowledgement would be nice.

E

everything

I don't know about others but valium gave me the most relief I've ever had from this ever, but that relief came in the form of hyper emotional relief, pure bliss. Sativa was the only thing that could get me to watch a movie, let go, and laugh. But, I would only take valium as a weekend treat. However, even 10mg one time would give me a withdrawl feeling, just kind of a sad feeling, not bad but it's that can I somehow crawl out of my own skin feeling that I do not like. Honestly the only real relief I get is summertime when I can run, play, bike. I've also found physical work and using my hands for production work vs. keyboarding my work life away much more fulfilling. I took a break from computer jobs but sadly I need to go back to it because it's a clean work environment since the U.S. has no indoor air quality standards for factories, but I think the work environment will be better than what I had, less pay should mean less stress. Since my trauma is abusive women I lead a life of solitude, I only take jobs where I don't have women bosses because..

"Women tend to engage in more indirect forms of aggression, less aggressive physically but more provocative and more apt to aggress against romantic partner while the man of course acts out physically. I won't carry on about it.

And, I am not discounting women, it was a woman in what I call the airport incident showed me that I was a borderline. She was younger than I, and I was tipped when I saw her self harm, but we connected instantly, she was an airport employee and as we tripped around the airport she introduced me to about 6 borderlines in about 30 minutes, it wasn't discussed but we all had that blank stare thing going on!

Sorry to carry on, if your struggling because your on "stuff" your doctors gave you, taper and be careful, your going to hate getting off anything, everyone does, but you need things to fill the void, and just be careful, learn your triggers, work on your wisdom, remember that we can get addicted to our own emotions and find something, anything to love. I notice around here women have dogs as companions, they don't want men. Although my girlfriends have never complained, I'm deep, and I love then so much, I take care of them like a mother does child, they always will take me back even though I leave them a million times but I always explain the way I am.

Still, I am better off alone, she can send me on a tailspin and then I'm using something again, going back to self destruction, usually just an excuse to go back to nicotine. Since I know I love self destruction I'm hyper aware of it and still don't know what long term I'll have to deal with but enjoy being clean while I'm able.