• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is a social workers role within mental health?

M

Maximilianjohn

I really would like to know what a social worker's job is within an adult mental health illness case, please someone clue me in. I need to know why i have one

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i think they are potentially the most useful of all the mental health service roles - They can pull a lot of strings, especially regarding housing & practical social issues.

U

urbangibbon

I really would like to know what a social worker's job is within an adult mental health illness case, please someone clue me in. I need to know why i have one
I cannot speak for the US, but here in UK we have the so-called "Approved Social Worker" who is qualified to assess you and "section" you (i.e. admit you, forcibly if necessary, to a hospital or unit). Then there is the general social worker who works in adult services who tends to visit you to help with housing, social security, any outstanding issues which are part of their remit, etc. This was my experience in the 1980s. Generally I think they are there just to help you out, get back to some degree of "normality" and address any issues which you wish to raise. In the 80s, I remember mine would come to see if I was OK and if I needed anything. We would sit and have tea and talk.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
social workers were introduced by old labour to protect vulnerable people from abuses from authority, nowadays all they do is rubber stamp those abuses they're worse than useless, those in authority requiring a social workers presence just means things are more lengthy and drawn out until one is available

Parissa

Parissa

They are care coordinators just like a CPN or an occupational therapist. Some are trained in CBT too, just like the others can be. They just cannot deal with medication issues themselves, although they do consult psychiatrists and get back to you. I used to think they were more for people that didn't need much medication intervention but more psychological support, but i was just guessing. I thought CPN's were more for people with schizophrenia but i could be wrong.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
last social worker was when i told a met police bigot i was schitzoprenic and got taken to the cells, when they got their facts they couldn;t release me as a mentally ill offender without a social worker so i spent the night in the cells. i'd rather the police had a rubber stamp with a signiture on it

SarahD

SarahD

My care coordinator is a social worker. She has been mostly very good. The problem is they all have a lot of people on their caseload, so I think it is out of sight out of mind, and she forgets things she said she would do sometimes. When I see her though she is very supportive. It is just a matter of luck who you get. Also I know people who have been discharged from community mental health when they are really unwell and desperately need more support, not less.

U

urbangibbon

social workers were introduced by old labour to protect vulnerable people from abuses from authority, nowadays all they do is rubber stamp those abuses they're worse than useless, those in authority requiring a social workers presence just means things are more lengthy and drawn out until one is available
Sad to hear that they are like this nowadays. I last had one about 25 years ago so I guess things have moved on. My SW was a lovely woman in her thirties. We sat, chatted, had tea and biscuits. At the time I actually looked forward to her visits. I quite fancied her. But I didn't have the courage to ask her if she would give me some sexual as well as social therapy.:D

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

My care coordinator is a social worker. She has been mostly very good. The problem is they all have a lot of people on their caseload, so I think it is out of sight out of mind, and she forgets things she said she would do sometimes. When I see her though she is very supportive. It is just a matter of luck who you get. Also I know people who have been discharged from community mental health when they are really unwell and desperately need more support, not less.
Yes, same here. My care coordinator told me some time ago that, in addition to being my CC, she's a social worker. I've been very lucky; she's really good and we've built quite a rapport over time. I suppose it is quite hit and miss. It must be awful if you get passed on to someone you can't quite get along with.

Gajolene

Gajolene

What is Social Work | Canadian Association of Social Workers

What Do Social Workers Do?
Social workers provide services as members of a multidisciplinary team or on a one-to-one basis with the client. The duties performed by social workers vary depending on the settings in which they work.

Social workers employed by child welfare agencies (public and private) investigate cases of family violence, child abuse and neglect and take protective action as required. They may recruit foster parents or supervise the placement of children in protective care. Others work on adoption cases.

Many school boards hire social workers to help students adjust to the school environment. They help students, parents and teachers to deal with problems such as aggressive behaviour, truancy and family problems, which affect the students’ performance.

In general and psychiatric hospitals, social workers are members of the treatment team. They provide a link between the team and the family as well as with community resources. In these settings they contribute to the care, treatment and rehabilitation of the aged and of physically or mentally ill individuals, as well as the care of disabled persons.

In health and community services centres, social workers are involved in the provision of counselling to individuals or families and in providing services to seniors. Some work as community developers helping citizens to identify their needs and proposing ways of meeting these needs. Others may assist with parent-child relationships and marriage counselling. The services may be offered on an individual basis or in groups.

In the correctional field, social workers may be part of a team concerned with the social rehabilitation of young or adult offenders. They may work as classification officers. Others work as probation officers or as parole officers. Parole officers help ex-prisoners adjust to life in the community while conforming to the conditions of their parole.

Social workers in private practice offer their services on a fee-for-service basis to individuals, families and organizations. Their services include counselling, psychotherapy, mediation, sex therapy, policy and program development, organizational development, and employee assistance programs.

Social workers involved in policy analysis, policy development and planning are usually working in federal and provincial departments or social planning councils. Researchers are found in universities and governments. Others are teaching in universities and community colleges

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think the reason my support worker is prioritising those with carers in harrow over those without carers in brent like me is the carers could complain, theres also carers organisations for the mentally ill in harrow who insist they're residents get a service

Gajolene

Gajolene

In my semi rural area in Canada, they are very understaffed and overworked, temp services and residencies often leave you having to switch people before they have a change to know your individual circumstances therefore the care is less and people quitting from burn out is high. I finally have the social worker I need who specializes in my area's of mental health after several that were trained in other area's didn't or couldn't work for me and our comprehensive mental health needs.

You have to fight for your health and keep fighting till you find the right person qualified to help you. We now have two carers ( RN's)for the boys and one social worker to help me, it took years of due diligence to find that, I wouldn't think of relocating again and having to go through that all over again.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i move a lot have to start from scratch with care, at one point i couldn't be an out patient as i'd never been an in patient at the hospital

have to move off drug neighbours make life a misery and policy is not to evict vulnerable people like that so the equally vulnerable neighbours have to move out

A

Amy Pond

Well it depends. A social worker does the practical things that a GP or psychiatrist doesn't do. Such as help you with welfare benefits and can fill out the forms for you and write letters. They can also go to you psychiatrist to get additional supporting letters for benefit claims such as ESA or DLA if needed.

They also can do home visits and can help you with going to your landlord to get repairs done to your home and help with paying bills if you cannot do this fo yourself. They also can accompany you to things like going to the dentist or going the the jobcenter for interviews regarding benefits, and can refer you to other support service, day centers. They also can give emotional support and will spend about an hour with you, unlike the GP who only gives you 10 to 20 minutes. Although a Social Worker is more for practical things mine was giving me a lot of emotional support a bit like a Councilor does.Although I am not sure if that's really their role or not. Now I am discharged from the CMHT and only have the GP, I miss that support very much.

F

firemonkee57

I had a social worker purely as a stand in care co ordinator as I should have been on CPA to see the rehab and recovery team. She then he didn't do that much other than sit in on 3 monthly progress reports.
The only time before that was in the early 80s. I had an ineffectual social workers who was always 3-4 weeks behind what was going on. I was assigned him when at a halfway house for the mentally ill ,and he dropped off the scene a month or two after I ended up back in hospital.
Can't say any of them really helped me.