• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What is a Personality Disorder?

C

Coolname

Hi

I know the DSM definitions of PDs. Do people here believe PD's are unchangeable elements of a person and it is purely about management or do you believe that personalities can be changed?

My question is prompted by a change in scientific thinking. It used to be thought that, once you reach adulthood, the brain is fully formed and that is who you are. More recently, it has been established that all elements of the brain remain 'plastic' (changable) throughout our lives. I am wondering if the whole notion of a set personality is faulty.

J

Jomp

Personalities change over time, by adjusting behaviours to become habits. It's a natural part of life. Personalities don't change just because you want them to or someone tells you to.

PD's are always there, but they're not the sum-total of who you are. Most PD's are caused by a stunted development; some things that cause a person to have a well-balanced view of the world are missing when young or there are aspects of the brain that simply don't work the same way they do in others. This can't be changed.

That's not to say that a PD is an excuse. A PD exists alongside the person's personality; the way it affects one is not the same as the way it affects another.

Everything we do is a choice; we might not like the options, but we choose everything we do.

Some people in wheelchairs live a life of seclusion and misery, some win medals and climb mountains. How you react to what you are is down to choice.

S

Shlink

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I would think it would depend on what the specific underlying issue is, neuropsychologically, which i don't think is well understood enough yet to say. So I think things should be tried - and not just talking either because neural change can require embodied enacted change.

The latest DSM nearly scrapped all the PD categories and replaced them with just assessing a pattern of scores on generic descriptive traits (factors), that's the state of that science.

P

Purpleplum

You could be predisposed but they can show themselves in times of trauma and sometimes due to hormonal changes in the body.

Slekiplisse

Slekiplisse

I was told I had PD
I knew I had been misdiagnosed previously

I wasn’t easy but I cheered up

To me personally it tells me there is demarcation between the voices that hate you and the voices that live on your side

It’s helped me to see the voices as mine and which are well developed and which are less so

I spend a lot of time retraining them to understand my needs are level to theirs that my boundaries go as high as theirs

Sometimes I feel it my be one or other organ
After all organs do things that we cannot do and see the world their own way not mine but they don’t want to hurt me
It’s just a hunch I might be wrong eh...?

But it has taken up to three years to retrain angular relationships in my head but I’ll give it longer because after this much work persecuted as I am I also feel that when I’m alone I am with my best friend.

So much of our body and mind we don’t get... and perhaps that’s not purpose, perhaps it’s not right

What I have learned is that no matter how good friends we do become in time we’re still living parallel and separate lives.

Hope this helps

LittleMissNameless

LittleMissNameless

Honestly I think PD's as a category in the DSM will disappear in the future.

Like Passive Aggressive PD, or Hysteria, etc