What if Schizophrenics are not crazy?

J

John Banks

I thought about the voices that happen due to Schizophrenia and there seems to be a lot of schizophrenics that think they can hear other people thoughts. Scientifically I know it's possible for telepathy, there have been experiments that accomplished very rudimentary telepathy, with technology. Nothing that indicates they can do what we schizophrenics would think are possible, but it shows it can happen.

Lets assume for arguments sake that what schizophrenics experience is telepathy, than that would mean the "outside" thoughts they experience aren't indicative of a mental illness. There's a lot of anecdotal evidence that schizophrenics experience thoughts that are not their own. I've experienced it to.

Before Schizophrenia I was below average intelligence, now I'm worse. From what I remember reading, schizophrenics are on average, are below average intelligence. It's easy to become paranoid, when your below average intelligence, highly ignorant, gullible and hear persecutory thoughts all the time. That's why I think Schizophrenics have hard time coping with voices, they have one or more of those traits I just mentioned. Anybody would react the same way if they were under the same conditions.

While I don't know exactly how telepathy would work for a schizophrenic, nor does anybody else i know of, that doesn't mean it's impossible, it just means I don't know how it would work. So how to deal with it? I don't just want to take medicine, because that comes with a host of other problems, I'm dealing with them now. If I'm honest I would like to try something different.

I thought about different ways for me to test if the voices are real:

- Establish a timeline. If they are real people talking in your head, they can only spend so much time on you. If their school students they can only spend certain amount time on me and only at certain times. Same things for adults. It's likely an adult would have job. Find out when they talk to you and for how long. It's even possible there's multiple people talking in your head, in which case it would be more complicated.

- Find out their habits and vocabulary. Do they like using certain words all the time? Are they different from the words you use yourself, most of the time? That's a red flag, if those voices came from you why are they using vocabulary you don't use? Are they using child like vocabulary? Are they smart? Do they change personalities at certain times? Do they seem artificial at times?

- Try to get them to say things that you don't know. If you can convince them to say things you have no knowledge of than you'll have stronger evidence that the voices are real.

L

linus

I think it must be tough for you to have all these experiences and not get a clean/proper explanation for them. However diving in with so many assumptions that you consider them as scientific proof you get more entangled with your delusions. See if you can determine what are feelings ("I feel that this is real") and what is real ("I have facts").

H

hello513

Sorry man, but I think you are making an erroneous assumption here. As a thought expermiment, and I have done this I have attempted to read real peoples minds by being able to correctly predict their next exact words in face to face conversations try that see if you can, you won't be able to because it ain't telepathy mate its an illusion.

Telepathy would be remarkably easy to prove or disprove just stare at some one then tell them their thoughts without any lead up trickery to trigger them to think that. The telepathy stuff is just an illusion, and I know it is because I have done the experiments on the voices to prove its my mind making lies up.

The fact that there is no evidence of telepathy whatsoever means telepathy simply does not exist in reality such a phenomenom would be pathetically easy to prove if real it would have been discovered ages ago with the most basic of observations dude its an illusion period.

vanish

vanish

Most schizophrenic people I know (including myself), are highly intelligent human beings. I’m rather insulted to suggest I’m of a below average intelligence level!

J

John Banks

I think it must be tough for you to have all these experiences and not get a clean/proper explanation for them. However diving in with so many assumptions that you consider them as scientific proof you get more entangled with your delusions. See if you can determine what are feelings ("I feel that this is real") and what is real ("I have facts").
Thanks Linus, it is tough. One minute I was a relatively normal guy, with a few eccentricities and the next I'm hearing voices. I was referring to the Star Lab experiment, mentioned in this video, when I mentioned telepathy has been accomplished, by technology:

Sorry man, but I think you are making an erroneous assumption here. As a thought expermiment, and I have done this I have attempted to read real peoples minds by being able to correctly predict their next exact words in face to face conversations try that see if you can, you won't be able to because it ain't telepathy mate its an illusion.

Telepathy would be remarkably easy to prove or disprove just stare at some one then tell them their thoughts without any lead up trickery to trigger them to think that. The telepathy stuff is just an illusion, and I know it is because I have done the experiments on the voices to prove its my mind making lies up.

The fact that there is no evidence of telepathy whatsoever means telepathy simply does not exist in reality such a phenomenom would be pathetically easy to prove if real it would have been discovered ages ago with the most basic of observations dude its an illusion period.
I'm not sure what your getting at here. Why would you not being able to read the mind's of people you choose, mean that what schizophrenics are experiencing, is not telepathy?

L

linus

The delusions vary from person to person. Telepathy is not proven, getting somebody else’s thoughts is just an illusion. Challenge your assumptions, rely on other people to get a grip on reality.

H

hello513

Thanks Linus, it is tough. One minute I was a relatively normal guy, with a few eccentricities and the next I'm hearing voices. I was referring to the Star Lab experiment, mentioned in this video, when I mentioned telepathy has been accomplished, by technology:

I'm not sure what your getting at here. Why would you not being able to read the mind's of people you choose, mean that what schizophrenics are experiencing, is not telepathy?
Quite correct get face to face with some one and see if you can truly read their mind in an environment where it is less likely to be a hallucination aka not real telepathy. So yes why could you not read the mind and be able to predict the next words of some one face to face if it were true telepathy.

My money you will fail cause its an illusion, but if you some how succeed go find a scientist studying this and prove it to them.

Anywhoo that's my take.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Telepathy does not exist maybe it will with technology but let’s take the vast majority of people suffering with schizophrenia I would imagine you believe what you see is real because your brain makes it real but everyone else can is no seeing or hearing the same stuff as you I’d consider looking at ways you can indentify and make sure It’s real like if someone let’s say was talking to you and you never have seen them before

Ask someone else who you know if that person is real to then now this one works for actual delusions not thoughts schizophrenia has always been hard for me to give advice

6minutejedi

6minutejedi

I agree. In my paranoia I feel someone from an organization maybe government is doing this to me. Delusional I know but I believe they have technology we don't know about. So to be blunt my voice is much smarter than I am, better composed, remembers things I've long since forgot. How is this possible ?

Mark_01

Mark_01

Schizophrenics are crazy. We have above average intelligence in some areas, below average in others. We are often very good at chess if so inclined. Numbers also make a lot of sense to us. We see patterns that other people cannot see. We fail in social situations. I have heard the voices on the other side for most of my life. Normal people who are not crazy, are normal and like everyone else. They don't hear and see things that aren't there. Normal people are not homeless, though that is changing these days. Normal people know what to talk about so they don't seem crazy. People have said I am crazy all my life, at school and at work. So it must be true.

Hwy2Well

Hwy2Well

Have you read The Men Who Stare at Goats by Jon Ronson? It's a quick, fun read. It was made into a movie, but for the kind of "truth" you seek the book would be more edifying -- at least in terms of how intensely this realm is being explored.

The study you cite was a big deal when it was first publicized in '14. What's discouraging is the rudimentary yield (hello), & the fact that nothing has developed since then from this scientific team. Nor has this experiment been replicated elsewhere as far as I can find. That doesn't mean it wasn't authentic, but it is premature to consider it conclusive evidence (IMHO).

fazza

fazza

We are not crazy. We just think differently to the norms and are wired up differently so that our perception of reality is parallel to those of the conventional thinker.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I don't think a person is necessarily crazy or not. I think it's on a spectrum with infinite levels of craziness. Some days I'm a little crazy, and in the past during a full blown relapse I've been pretty crazy. Or you could say I was acting crazy, not that I WAS crazy.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I don't believe the voices we here are telepathic in nature, I believe we all have another mind sharing our body with us and this other mind can effect our thoughts, feelings and the way we act at times. Mine certainly made me look crazy when he found a way to take control of me and act out his insane fantasies through me making me seem paranoid and delusional (psychosis).

I don't even believe in schizophrenia (won't win me any friends that statement but I've said it anyway), I believe that this other mind can be good or bad and the people with bad ones get diagnosed as schizophrenic.

I've met people with good ones and they never touched mental health services or even thought of themselves as mentally ill, they went in the direction of spirituality which is a lie but a good lie to explain why they're hearing voices, they believe it's their Higher Selves or Spirit Guides that are talking to them and their other minds use their abilities to help them rather than annoy and attack them like mine does.

So no, schizophrenics are not crazy, just victims of this other mind.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Schizophrenia Forum 10