• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

What helped you get better?

K

kohuke

Lately my negative/suicidal thoughts have become more rational than emotional, at least that's what it seems like. I view life as something inherently negative and difficult and all the positive things as irrelevant, as these are just a distraction to make us feel like we're living for something, like it isn't all purposeless. And people who go along with it are the ones who are winning and finding some meaning in their life. So, putting aside my emotions, I feel like my only logical option is to stop living (not in immediate danger right now, just voicing my logical conclusions). My question is, if you've ever been in a similar situation, what helped you get out of it?

I've tried therapy and talking to my close friends and making positive changes and positive self-talk and so on, I'm currently trying to get myself diagnosed with whatever I may have, but I feel like antidepressants will only help with the emotions, not the obvious absurdity of "trying to be happy". I would absolutely hate a domestic life or trying to find happiness through finding a partner, but it kind of feels like what you're supposed to do. And I would hate to find happiness in momentary things, like waiting forward to a better job or some certain event, because that happiness is temporary and doesn't come from within. So I'm kind of stuck here, since nothing feels like it really has a point and being "happy" also weirdly doesn't feel a good enough state to be in? Idk how to explain it, it's kind of like I need chaos in order to even imagine being content. Sorry for all the rambling, I'm just hoping maybe someone has any kind of advice on what might have helped them.

P

Purpleplum

You talk about all the things you don't want but don't mention things you do want. You need to figure that out first.

Medicine does help and so does figuring that out. Everyone has to do that.

L

Lizaje

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Medicine. It can fix your head in a way that may not be possible without.

T

treasurebox

I have been suicidal too. What helped me was the though that other people need me like my family. Another thing that also helped me is the thought that bad days are not permanent and that they will pass. Also, i have come to believe that there will be better days ahead.

Music therapy is also helping me.
I listen to these good songs from youtube:

Fearless by Jasmine Murray
Overcomer by Mandisa
Good morning by Mandisa
I Believe I Can Fly by R Kelly
Don't worry be happy by Bob Marley

Listen to these songs daily or as needed.

Whenever a negative thought come to me, I counter it with good and positive thought.

Also, doing what I love to do helps me keep going, motivated and happy. I love writing and so I write. What are you good at? What do you enjoy doing? Is it cooking, baking, gardening, doing arts and handicrafts, volunteering or helping others? It will be good for you to do it as it will make you happy and fulfilled and satisfied.

Remember, you were born to be happy and live a meaningful life.

D

degeh

I hate to admit it, but for me it was anger. Pure anger, one day i snapped and got angry. I got up, stopped talking, went to the gym and just started kicking my own ass in weightlifting. Everyday. Nowadays i am not that angry nor sporty. I write poetry, unleash my feelings, then on a good day i analyze it to understand myself better. I was taught to stay busy, no time tonthink whenn busy. Id keep that in mind, maybe make a dish for your loved ones, or feed animals. Anything positive.

Mal84

Mal84

Cat (not the animals lol) therapy did me wonders and started to change things for me, gave me hope and now I’m on the path of recovery even though it is being tested to the extreme at the moment I am so much better than I was.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Accepting I won't get better so altering my focus to quality of life and not banging my head against a wall of elusive wellness and stability.

K

karl7

Lately my negative/suicidal thoughts have become more rational than emotional, at least that's what it seems like. I view life as something inherently negative and difficult and all the positive things as irrelevant, as these are just a distraction to make us feel like we're living for something, like it isn't all purposeless. And people who go along with it are the ones who are winning and finding some meaning in their life. So, putting aside my emotions, I feel like my only logical option is to stop living (not in immediate danger right now, just voicing my logical conclusions). My question is, if you've ever been in a similar situation, what helped you get out of it?

I've tried therapy and talking to my close friends and making positive changes and positive self-talk and so on, I'm currently trying to get myself diagnosed with whatever I may have, but I feel like antidepressants will only help with the emotions, not the obvious absurdity of "trying to be happy". I would absolutely hate a domestic life or trying to find happiness through finding a partner, but it kind of feels like what you're supposed to do. And I would hate to find happiness in momentary things, like waiting forward to a better job or some certain event, because that happiness is temporary and doesn't come from within. So I'm kind of stuck here, since nothing feels like it really has a point and being "happy" also weirdly doesn't feel a good enough state to be in? Idk how to explain it, it's kind of like I need chaos in order to even imagine being content. Sorry for all the rambling, I'm just hoping maybe someone has any kind of advice on what might have helped them.
hi kohuke....firstly welcome to the forums.....i suffer from depression too.....it can be tough for sure.....but i must tell you you will get better, it just takes time.....are you seeing a psychiatrist ot therapist.....are you taking meds......these things may help, BUT DO REMEMBER YOU WILL GET BETTER and when you do you will be much the stronger person for it.

U

Uno

I don't believe there is an underlying meaning to life. life to me is a biological accident that i make the most of and find my own meanng
Time helped.
Understanding that i had tunnel vision helped.
Gradually practising thinking about things with an element of playfulness and curiosity (as i'd lost the ability to do so with having depressed tunnel vision)
Grounding/mindfulness exercises that helped me be more interested and engaged in day to day life/the world around me.
Exercise.
Persueing fulfilling passions i had previously ignored due to low confidence.
Filling my days with things i personally enjoyed.
Different things work for different people. Its a bit subjective :)

S

Shay94

Different things work for different people. For me, its been this forum, music, coloring in books, video games, my partner/our 2 dogs, family/close friends I do have etc. I work with animals so that sorta creates therapy in its own way, I feel my depression/anxiety decrease a bit when I'm getting cuddles from cats etc as it distracts my thoughts away from the depression etc. Also I found taking timeout for yourself works wonders, it gave me a sense of peace where I didn't have to talk to anyone/people msging me expecting me to help them with their issues. A mental health day for yourself could work, just find somewhere peaceful to go to, relax your mind and enjoy the view

P

Prycejosh1987

Lately my negative/suicidal thoughts have become more rational than emotional, at least that's what it seems like.
You call them negative/suicidal thoughts. These kinds of thoughts are never good for you. The best thing you can do is talk to somebody about it. If thoughts are becoming more rational than you will need to talk to somebody fast because, the willingness to commit suicide has heightened.