What helped me

D

dollypond

My illness began when I was 21 and ‘ended’ a year ago aged 52. During that 30+ year period I tried all kinds of treatments and since 1995 searched the internet looking for tales of cures but it wasn’t until last year I could finally live and breathe in peace. I always looked for people who found a ‘cure’ and decided I’d post if I ever got better, so that is why I’m here.
My initial symptoms were severe anxiety, panic attacks, balance issues, unwelcome thoughts, depression, poor temperature control, feeling exhausted all the time, cold sores on face and nose, headaches, a cold trickling sensation on the back of my neck, agoraphobia, social phobia, heart murmur, prolapsed mitral valve, IBS and probably many more I cannot recall – oh yes, bad memory which I still have!
I took many antidepressants and diazepam and lorazepam, saw psychiatrists, a psychologist, cardiologist, ENT, endocrinologist homeopath, occupational therapist, private and nhs doctors galore, 11 gps, just exhausting all routes to a potential cure. I had diagnoses of panic disorder, agoraphobia and cfs to name just a few.
I thought I was the most ill person ever, and that I’d rather have something like cancer as it was recognisable, often treatable and if I died at least there was an end date to my torturous existence.
During my illness I did manage to go to the dentists a couple of times for broken teeth – all my teeth had fillings. A few were either capped or refilled with composite. At the time I did not make the connection, but as my 20+ fillings decreased to 14 I did feel a little less ‘disturbed’. I did happen to read about mercury poisoning along my journey but what I read did not fully match how I felt so I moved onto other things.
Just over a year ago I read on a cfs site that amalgam filling replacement could lower the body’s toxic load and help improve symptoms. I had resigned myself to trying vitamins etc with the theory that if each thing could improve me by 5% I would eventually notice a change for the better. Even though the idea of all those dental visits not to mention the cost scared me, I felt like this was my final chance so went for it. After 8 of the 14 were replaced I felt no different and almost gave up, but eating a chocolate one day the side part of a large molar filling fell out. It had been a bright silver coloured side filling and to be honest the tooth was grey as it was almost completely made of filling. I had to go and get it sorted and with 5 teeth still filled with amalgam I actually started to be able to stand still without balance issues, to talk to people without panic and generally to feel better! I had the remaining teeth refilled but I strongly believe this one filling which went below the gum line was my problem. I do know that this filling was placed when I was 21 because it was the last one to be done and was done by a dentist I’d never seen before. I actually remember being relieved he ‘saved’ the tooth as it was pretty bad. Oh how I wish he’d pulled it with hindsight.
I am not saying this is the answer for everyone, but I am saying if you have mercury amalgam in your mouth and any filling touches the gumline, do consider this might not be helping you.
I still have health issues but am no longer in a constant mental hell.
Good luck to everyone. Never give up, the answer might be just around the corner.

D

dollypond

I'm happy for you that you figured this out. It must be such a relief. :)

:welcome: to the Forum, dollypond.
Thank you very much. It still feels astounding to me that this was the cause. I truly hope other people get their answers soon as I know how dreadful this illness is.

ShutIn

ShutIn

I recently heard about the connection to the fillings and anxiety and wondered about myself but I only have 1 filling..haven't been to dentist since i was 12..my agoraphobia started at 18 and im 30 now..i do remember being anxious as a younger teen at times..

I'm glad you found an answer! Best of luck to you..i love hearing about happy endings

B

bluewalls

I have wondered this at times. However, when I try to research the topic, there doesn't seem to be any relation to dental amalgams and mental illness. The only people who seem to believe this are people who push a lot of woo and are clearly not very rational.

A

Alladyn1919

I have wondered this at times. However, when I try to research the topic, there doesn't seem to be any relation to dental amalgams and mental illness. The only people who seem to believe this are people who push a lot of woo and are clearly not very rational.
According to my limited "research" there might be some correlation of amalgams to mental illness eg depression, but not necessarily that great as is sometimes mentioned..It probably depends on amount of amalgam and person's resilience to it's harmful properties.But I don't know much about that.All I know is from net and not form real life or from some credible expert publications.When I seek some credible information on the net some topic I usually read a lot of threads from various sources ,assess which information,which testimony is believable and which is less so or not all and make my own inferences what to think.So according to my judgement based on that there might be some link.But from what I know if somebody is considering removing amalgams he/she should do it in special settings not in ordinary dentist procedures for it may be dangerous.Detailed ,professional information about that is necessary.

Regards

Alladyn1919

C

change

I'm super glad that you are feeling better!

I had a dramatic shift in my mental health recently. It was in direct relation to seeking God. I'm not going to go too much into it, but I was curious and thought I'd ask if maybe you have anything new going on for you spiritually.

I am in the process of getting checked for underlying health concerns that could be affecting my mental health. Before having any connection to my Higher Power I really was unaware that I had anything other than a drug and alcohol problem. Now that I'm aware that I'm mentally ill I can begin to look for a solution specifically for mental illness, but it honestly took me a long time to get this far.

To think that it could be such a simple thing- A filling!- is both amazing and inspiring. I really hope there's a treatable underlying medical condition for myself, as well. But even if there isn't, it's still really awesome that you've reached a point where you can now help others out of where you've been.

Thank you so much!