• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

What has my dad got to do to get help??!!

S

Stephg22

Hi all,

Really really need some advice regarding my dad. He is 54 and has been struggling with depression for the last 4/5 years. He goes through periods that are better than others but the 'bad' periods are getting steadily worse.

He is currently taking 200mg of sertraline and has never tried another antidepressant, the doctor just put him on 50mg of that and it steadily went up.

Anyway he has recently had another bad period and yesterday he told me he doesn't enjoy anything at all. He has recently taken 2 days off work, didn't ring his boss to say where he was, parked his car up in a side street and just lay down in his car all day. He also said that he is not suicidal because he'd be too scared to do anything but 'if there was a button he could press that would end it he'd do it' which basically tells me he wants to end it, he's just too scared to.

I told my mum this and she rang the mental health assessment team who rang my dad when he got back from work today and made him an appointment to see someone tonight (not sure exactly who). Anyway we all thought he'd be taken seriously now and basically all they've said is they'll refer him to a psychiatrist which will hopefully be before the end of this year and they'll review his medication then.

I don't understand why he isn't being taken seriously :/ I work in the nhs so I know they're struggling and I know depression isn't an easy thing to treat but I'm getting really worried now. He's on his 2nd warning with his employer so if he goes off sick without telling anyone again he's sacked and I know hell feel a lot worse jobless. Also what if he actually acts on his suicidal thoughts. Does anyone know anyone I can ring about this to get advice or what I can do??

Yellowbrickbridge

Yellowbrickbridge

Hi Steph,

It sounds like the docs are taking your dad seriously if he's at maintenance dose of 200mg, how long has he been taking this dose? Sometimes these doses take a while to start working fully.

If your dad's been on that dose for a while it sounds like he urgently needs to see a psychiatrist. If your dad gets worse and you think he is planning ways to commit suicide you should ring the crisis team or police and they will take him seriously.

I hope his appointment went well and they are arranging some kind of care plan.

YBB

S

Stephg22

He's been on 200mg for at least 6 months, maybe longer. I think he's seen a psychiatrist before but nothing changes from seeing them. I don't think he's planning a way to do it but he's having suicidal thoughts which is a step up from a few months ago :( it just feels like he has to actually make an attempt before they'll do anything :(

Yellowbrickbridge

Yellowbrickbridge

Is there anywhere in your area that assesses patients and arranges talk therapy, things like CBT for people suffering depression on the NHS?

S

Stephg22

He's had CBT twice, I think the problem is when he actually gets round to having CBT or seeing someone he feels okay so he doesn't feel he needs it then :/

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Think my dad has depression (advice needed) Depression Forum 6
M My dad has now caused me to get anxiety attacks Depression Forum 5
E My depressed partner has shut me out and now I am feeling bad Depression Forum 7
D Has an antidepressant suddenly stopped working for Depression Forum 6
MeAndMyDepression Has anyone ever worn the "Life is Good" brand of clothing? Depression Forum 4
B Has an anti-depressant ever caused you to have tinnitus or TMJ? Depression Forum 9
X Has anyone actually recovered from the emotional numbness part of depression Depression Forum 12
M Forum-has anyone else been let down by mental health services Depression Forum 21
MeAndMyDepression Has anyone tried Ritalin for depression? Depression Forum 14
B My Doctor has given Up on me. Depression Forum 10
mirrormaker is this everything life has to offer? Depression Forum 15
J Has anyone else experienced this?? (Depression zaps) Depression Forum 4
KittyCat92 My cat has been put to sleep Depression Forum 30
L My depression has prevented fatherhood Depression Forum 4
ChibiHufflepuff My escape has become a personal hellscape... Depression Forum 1
HellRider The Delusion has to be broken Depression Forum 4
L Today Has Been Bad. TRIGGAR WARNING Depression Forum 8
anodyne Lifelong loneliness has made me hate people Depression Forum 27
lifecangetbetter has anyone noticed smart people are angry Depression Forum 8
F Writing a letter to someone who has passed and keeping a blog Depression Forum 5
I My girlfriend has depression and broke up with me Depression Forum 8
P Helping/supporting my girlfriend who has depression Depression Forum 3
S No one has ever loved me in a way that made me feel loved Depression Forum 10
T Reality has become way too depressing. Depression Forum 17
J Gum pain has been driving me ill Depression Forum 5
MeAndMyDepression Who has concentration/memory problems because of depression? Depression Forum 5
M Girlfriend has depression and has pushed away. Need advice/support Depression Forum 2
J SPRAVATO for Treatment Resistance Depression Has anyone used Spravato? Depression Forum 4
H Husband has depression Depression Forum 3
IcyShadow The darkness has returned Depression Forum 5
S My boyfriends depression has become worse and now he’s acting mean? Depression Forum 63
Fairy Lucretia my dog has a poorly tummy Depression Forum 23
S New relationship has pushed me back down again Depression Forum 6
K How to help someone who has tried to commit suicide (two times) Depression Forum 6
M Depression has turned me into a monster Depression Forum 4
J Has my depressed fiancé fallen out of love? Depression Forum 6
wollie At last my pdoc has found a med that works for me Depression Forum 7
Tawny Depression has put it's slippers on Depression Forum 61
B My girlfriend has depression and is pushing me away. Depression Forum 3
R Has anyone ever been on Trintellix? What were your experiences? Depression Forum 2
G Mom has been in a depressive episode for over a month Depression Forum 2
C A single event last week has broken me Depression Forum 9
bluestar ocean If a person has one month of chronic depression does that age the face or is that not enough time to do aging damage? Depression Forum 5
S Anti seizure meds for anxiety has someone tried this? Depression Forum 4
AustralianDeb1986 Has anyone been on or know about the birth control implant Nexplanon / Implanon? Depression Forum 3
Y My “friend” has started bullying me and it’s getting worse Depression Forum 36
D My mom has been struggling with manic depression and psychotic episodes for months. Depression Forum 9
D DUNNO IF ANYONE HAS FELT THIS TOO? Depression Forum 2
Y Self confidence has destroyed dating life? Depression Forum 2
M Who has experienced serious withdrawal symptoms and side effects on antidepressants? Depression Forum 20