What has helped you?

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

I am still new to being open about my issues with depression and anxiety, leaving me curious as to how other people are able to manage theirs...

What has helped you in the past, whether it be meditation or just talking to people about mental health? Is drawing therapeutic to you or does getting out of the house and going for a run help stimulate you in order to feel better?

Please share your thoughts and ideas, I'd love to hear how you create a better place for yourself...

Thank you.

M

Mark101

Hi DK.

I've always relied on exercise but I know its not for everyone. I used to go to the gym but can no longer afford it. It was awesome to have a routine, it helped me sleep as i was naturally tired, I got 'my space' despite being around others and it really did help. I also used to mountain bike quite a lot; no time recently though. Good fitness, like the gym - losing weight gives me confidence - and great to get out into the wilds, on my own. These days I walk the dog a great deal. He's good company,doesn't judge me like other adults do, and gives me a reason to head to the beach, the farm lands or the mountain. Fresh air and the natural world is my savior. I've learned to appreciate bird song, the path of a stream and the patterns of the clouds.

C

ChesireCat

I do a lot of outdoor exercise. I'm probably more active in winter because I enjoy the cold.

M

Mark101

Hi ChesireCat, I don't mind the cold either. I ride a motorbike every day on the commute. But, Springtime is my favorite season. Everything begins to awaken. The trees begin to bud, the birds begin to nest and all around the natural world comes out of hibernation. There's a parallel I feel to the peaks and troughs of my mental illness.

C

ChesireCat

Spring is the worst for me, lol...but I've been telling myself lately that I need to appreciate it all.

M

Mark101

I like Springwatch but always give up after a few nights as the BBC are all so happyfied ...but its gives me an incentive to get out there with the dog, my binoculars and a packed lunch. I will have to post some pics, if thats OK with everyone.

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

Yeah Mark, go for it... I'd like to check it out...

I've been into my fitness for a while, it's actually been a great way for me to release any pent up feelings by just smashing it out in the gym... I still go regularly, almost every day. That is until I have usually around 3 days of hard depression, where I can't get out of bed, I have no want for the gym, social contact, I find it hard to focus on anything... I usually lay there for a few days just watching tv... I hate not being able to get up and workout, or read, or do anything for that matter... I get like that for a week at max, then I just go back to my normal routine, and this happens every couple weeks or so... This is why I'm here, I want to fix it, so that I can stay focused, and eventually be able to combat my depression enough to get into the fitness industry... That's my dream...

Running also helps clear my mind, but I haven't been running lately as I'm trying to bulk up...

L

Lacombe

A few different things have helped me in the past. Going out for walks whether I want to or not. Once I'm out I do start to enjoy it. Learning a new musical instrument. This gives me a sense of achievement and something to do and it's a lot of fun :) Doing things for others even when it's the last thing I can be bothered doing. This always helps me to feel a bit better. I know it's hard though to make that first step to do any of these things. I've really had to force myself in the past to make those first steps. Good luck.,

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Walking my doggie somewhere beautiful. The snow drops are peeping out the ground already! For me this is good as the winter does bad things to me.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Walking is helpful. Dogs are very helpful too.

I also find doing something creative helps me, whether it's colouring in a mandala or going to my pottery class. I almost always get so absorbed in what i'm doing, there's no space for bad thoughts.
Good music helps and while I know it's not always easy to concentrate, I love a good book too.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Walking is helpful. Dogs are very helpful too.
My
I also find doing something creative helps me, whether it's colouring in a mandala or going to my pottery class. I almost always get so absorbed in what i'm doing, there's no space for bad thoughts.
Good music helps and while I know it's not always easy to concentrate, I love a good book too.
Jealous!! I have never been creative or artistic, I just dont know how you make that stuff happen! I can't concentrate well enough to read book :(

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

That sounds amazing, I'm still yet to have to fortune of the snow... One day...

It is one of the hardest things to do when I'm feeling down, to do anything. I'm still unable to force myself to do much until I start to come up again, but it's something I want to work on, so in due time...
Is there just a lot of mental self encouragement? Or do you just tell yourself to do it?

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Snow is over rated!! Its yukky.
I take a lot of mental encouragement to get out the house, its easier in warm weather though as the cold really puts me off. I'm in routine on a Sunday i finish work then go straight out for a walk with my bf and son before I get time to relax and I always enjoy it once im there.

DiddyKong

DiddyKong

Snow is over rated!! Its yukky.
I take a lot of mental encouragement to get out the house, its easier in warm weather though as the cold really puts me off. I'm in routine on a Sunday i finish work then go straight out for a walk with my bf and son before I get time to relax and I always enjoy it once im there.
I like the fact that you do this before you get a chance to sit down, relax and allow your mind to take over... It's a since of control I want to start showing. Before I'm able to allow myself to begin analyzing everything and the onset of over thinking, which often leads to negative thoughts with me.

The more your'e doing, the more your in control I guess...

L

LittleBee

Hi DK

I see exercise/physical activity has already been bandied about so I won't add anymore to that area.

With regard to your negative thoughts have you read the Dr Burns book on CBT? I read it when I was having long term psychodynamic therapy and I found the book to be incredibly helpful.

I used to be a serious ruminator so I understand what you refer to about getting trapped with your thoughts. This book really helped me find a way out of that.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yes I think for me keeping busy keeps the bad thinkings at bay. I'm not working much next week but atleast it half term so that'll keep me busy :)

rubyrose

rubyrose

Listening to music that is relaxing, positive, inspirational, beautiful. Creating melodies. Drawing. Sitting outside, reading, observing, and appreciating the beauty of nature. Taking pictures of beautiful things. People with inner beauty and warm, loving hearts.