• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

What happens when a doctor sees recent marks?

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I have to go to a doctor (not mental health related) and they are going to see some fairly recent marks. They will be scabbed over by then. Do they have to report this or something?

M

MHXU

Yes they may ask for a reason as DR's and Nurses are trained to be very visually observant ,In my experience \ opinion ,DR"s are very sensitive but other health workers can be a bit judgemental .

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I expect them to ask about it but do you know if they have to report it? I am worried about being hospitalized for it. Though you are in England so it may be different since I am in the u.s. ...

Finite

Finite

@Subota999 Who would they report it to? I'm not sure how things work in the U.S, but in the UK my medical Dr has often seen recent wounds and scabbed over ones too, but aside from asking that they're not infected and I'm not actively suicidal, that's usually been the end of it. I'm sure it's noted on my records somewhere, but it'd have to be pretty bad here before they'd be thinking of hospitalization. I hope you're doing the best you can be :)

Faith198

Faith198

In my teens I self harmed a bit but not for long. I had a doctor appointment and he pointed it out and asked me what it was. I don’t know whether he reported it or not. My therapist already knew though, don’t think it would of made a difference. But yes, there’s a possibility he/she might report it. Especially in children, they are very observant if they see marks and things.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Maybe "report it" was not the right words but I couldn't think of how else to put it lol :LOL:
I just hope they won't hospitalize me. Maybe it will be alright when they find out I do have a therapist and that I'm not suicidal? Thanks guys!!

N

notsurviving

Maybe "report it" was not the right words but I couldn't think of how else to put it lol :LOL:
I just hope they won't hospitalize me. Maybe it will be alright when they find out I do have a therapist and that I'm not suicidal? Thanks guys!!
From experience, they can't hospitalize you without your permission unless they think you are of high risk to yourself. And I presume they wouldn't hopsitalize you if you already have a therapist <3 stay strong

greebobeebo

greebobeebo

In the uk, in my experience, nothing happens unless you have kids, then social services get all wound up.
I discovered that as long as I said my kids were more important than trying to commit suicide they backed off.
Plus my self harm was nowhere near deep enough or close enough to any dodgy blood vessels.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Actually to update this, I already went to the doctor and they actually didn't end up seeing them at all :doh::LOL: but maybe someone else reading this will be in this situation wondering how it will go....