What happens if you refuse meds

A

albagobragh

Hi All,
Regarding a CTO in the UK. The following is my understanding from being subject to a CTO.

1. If you are sectioned you can be forced to take medication.
2. You can only be put on a CTO if you have been sectioned.
3. You cannot be forced to take medication on a CTO. It is voluntary. However if you refuse to adhere to any of the terms of your CTO (which may include taking medication) you can be recalled to hospital, where you may be sectioned etc.
4. You can however appeal a CTO via a tribunal and get legal aid (irrespective of income) to do this.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i think if they force drugs on people they have a responsibility to them, that includes proper care and benefits giving drugs to treat illness is one thing but when it morphs into drugs to treat poverty at the same time

whether i'm voluntarily taking my drugs when theres that threat of sectioning if i don't

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mind is pretty vague about what to do if your addicted dependent on drugs to treat a illness, remember phoning up mindline about the psychiatrist wanting me to go on injections, the guy said you can't choose what drugs to take you can only chooose whether to take drugs, i said if i come off drugs i go mad, the guy got upset, he had an agenda an off drug agenda which it's pretty stupid to apply to those with serious mental illlness

fazza

fazza

mind is pretty vague about what to do if your addicted dependent on drugs to treat a illness, remember phoning up mindline about the psychiatrist wanting me to go on injections, the guy said you can't choose what drugs to take you can only chooose whether to take drugs, i said if i come off drugs i go mad, the guy got upset, he had an agenda an off drug agenda which it's pretty stupid to apply to those with serious mental illlness
The person from Mind was wrong. I have always been able to freely discuss which drugs to take. The doctor recommended olanzapine but after a trial i decided that i wanted to explore other options. Then when i was ill the doctor suggested going on a depot. After 2 years of injections I decided that i wanted more control and asked to be switched back on oral meds.

I have never been threatened with a section for refusing meds. However you need to think if it is a good idea to refuse as the risk of relapse is high.

I find trying to have a good relationship with your doctor helps. My doctor tends to know when I am ill and trying to pull the wool over her eyes. Despite this she only strongly suggests what she think i should do. If she was a more demanding doctor i would probably see her as a threat and this would lead me to fight back thus getting in to a vicious circle of mis-trust.

i know this approach will not work for everyone but it is worth thinking about