What happens if you refuse meds

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I was told that I need antipsychotics and I really think I don’t. Yes I’m spending too much but I know I’m doing it. I’m not seeing or hearing things. I told the CPN I wouldn’t take them due to them interacting with my diabetes. . She said it’s better to take them but she’s not the one that’s got peripheral neuropathy or risks losing her sight or limb. I’ve already had cataracts removed caused by diabetes.
My question is can they force me to take an antipsychotic. I’m taking all my other meds as prescribed.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
they can if you have a community treatment order ,they sometimes force injection
or if you are sectioned I think they can but otherwise I don't think they can force you xx

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Last time I was in hospital I saw someone being forced with an injection and it was very disturbing. Four great big men to hold one female down.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
your vulnerable refusing meds is likely to make you more so, can you afford that

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
The CPN said she’d look into any that didn’t raise glucose levels and cause weight gain but couldn’t think of any. But in all honesty I’d rather suffer the MH than risk the health problems that diabetes can bring.

N

natalie

Hi Daffy,

From my experience, and i don't wish to put a dampner on you in any form, however the last I knew, and I'm going way back when, if you had refused meds, I hear of, remembering from when crisis team came round, back in2004, one can be sectioned, and also there was going to be a delay with the meds to the chemist, so the easist thing was anyway, to have me admitted.

I just half hope and just read your other thread and corresponded, the sectioning doesn't come to that.

I wish you well.

You've made the important step, by reaching out to us here, at MHF.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
The CPN said she’d look into any that didn’t raise glucose levels and cause weight gain but couldn’t think of any. But in all honesty I’d rather suffer the MH than risk the health problems that diabetes can bring.
but if you come off meds for mental illness are you certain you could keep up with the diabetes meds regime

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
It’s only the quetiapine I’ve come off. I’m still on mirtazipine , duloxitine, propranolol, lorazepam and temazepam . I’ve not been psychotic for years and that’s my argument. I’m not psychotic just severely depressed so why do I need an antipsychotic . And I will argue that with them/doc when I see her.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
one friend says if i came off drugs i could end up with my flat taken over by crack addicts, i don't know how likely that'd be but if you live in my area it's feasible compared with suburbia

i could argue i haven't been psychotic or in hospital for 40yrs but i consider there may be an addiction side despite psychiatrists denying they're addictive, there was a good article in new scientist years ago asking if coffee was addictive basically exploring the meaning of addictive medically theres an addictive area of the brain, if that changes somethings addictive, as science advances more things can be detected, i guess thats where that saying cannabis isn't addictive comes from

L

Lightanddark

I have never felt so alone as I do right now

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
I take antipsychotics. I was very resistant but they have helped more than I could ever have guessed...with my depression. I have come to understand that my thinking when very depressed is not reality, thus is psychotic,..as hard as that is to say. I couldn't understand that until I was improved.

N

Nixieplonx

Daffy: They can only really make you take meds, as others have said, if you are sectioned or if you are subject to a community treatment order. BUT you would only be subjected to these if you became a danger to yourself or others. So as long as you are not homicidal, suicidal or totally out of touch with reality, I think it's OK to refuse treatment. Besides, it's quite clear you've been 'compliant' (I hate that word) with treatment given the number of meds you're still on!
And you've got very good and sensible reasons for not wanting to take an antipsychotic because of your diabetes. Just keep reasoning with them about your physical health concerns - psychiatry can be a bit dismissive of these when sometimes it's the bigger issue. You've clearly got very good insight and are not acutely mentally unwell. I don't think they've got any grounds at all to try and persuade you to take an antipsychotic, it's fairly clear to me that you don't need one, anyway! So stand your ground, you should be fine.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
you are been disingenious people can be sectioned and forced to take meds if they're health deteriates as a result of stoppping meds

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thank you all for year replies. They finally accepted the dangers of uncontrolled diabetes. I don’t think they had given a thought to the possibility of losing a limb as I already have peripheral neuropathy. We are at the moment discussing talking therapy but are not sure what kind I should have . And as my CPN is now off sick god knows when anything will come of it.

megirl

megirl

Apologies daffy, only just read you thread,
Yeh you know how you are feeling and what your symptoms are, and whether you are psychotic or not or depressed etc

Jef Costello

Jef Costello

Not sure how it goes where you are, but here it's not uncommon to get admitted to the psychiatric ward if you refuse neuroleptics and if there's a chance of you being a danger to yourself or others. Might end up with an injection of Risperdal in your ass cheek then.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
@Jef Costello thats exactly what I was scared of. The needle in the bum, had it before and it’s not nice. It was the SH that they were concerned about but fortunately I don’t seem so bad now.

L

Lunar Lady

It’s only the quetiapine I’ve come off. I’m still on mirtazipine , duloxitine, propranolol, lorazepam and temazepam . I’ve not been psychotic for years and that’s my argument. I’m not psychotic just severely depressed so why do I need an antipsychotic . And I will argue that with them/doc when I see her.
I guess they can argue that you haven't had a psychotic episode for years because you've been so well managed with the medication...and there could be some truth in that.

I think, if it were me, I would have a long talk with the doctor about what you can do to negate the effects of the drug...perhaps focus on extremely proactive management of the peripheral damage that diabetes causes...there might be a way to maintain the status quo. Perhaps you can bargain to have more regular health screens and get the doctor on your side by displaying caution and making sure your general health is kept in focus. :hug: xx

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mental health workers aren't particularly interested in peoples physical health as long as they take the drugs for mental illness thats they're priority