• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

What exposures can you do to overcome social anxiety?

T

Tombomb

I do too! I got plenty of cool hobbies

T

Tombomb

Just getting up early n get my stuff together always helps

G

Greg84

I didn't have true social anxiety as a child - I was very social, although sometimes nervous to go to a birthday party or give an oral exam in class. It got worse as I've grown up (late 20s now).

But what helps the most is inner peace and working on my self confidence. For me, I find my social anxiety is worse when I feel insecure. When I feel good about myself (e.g. - wearing a new outfit or getting my hair done) it lessens the social anxiety a bit because I don't worry too much about what someone else might think about me.

Practice a little self love and meditation. Buy yourself a new pair of shoes or something that makes you feel good about yourself. Trust me, I have bad self confidence issues, but sometimes little things make me feel good, at least for the day.
I do not really believe in inner peace thing anymore. I do though believe that a better self confidence lessens the anxiety, I never thought about improving me appearance. Even if I would sit with inner peace for hours I would be taken off guard in the very situation, almost like PTSD that triggers my reaction beyond my control.

But here basicly, I am only asking for suggestion what to do to push myself to overcome social anxiety.

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

* go for a walk in the park
* go to a gym
* visit a library
* go to a museum

Covid permitting of course.

2Much2Feel

Hey. I'm doing social "meet-ups" (in the US) via zoom/virtual happy hours to try to start to overcome my social anxiety. Do you think it'd help if you did it gradually, starting w a virtual thing?

G

Greg84

Hey. I'm doing social "meet-ups" (in the US) via zoom/virtual happy hours to try to start to overcome my social anxiety. Do you think it'd help if you did it gradually, starting w a virtual thing?
I am not sure how I view this virtual zoom thing...It is one kind of interaction, that's true, but it does not feel too real to me. To be honest, I do not enjoy virtual interactions so much for keeping me company, I get bored and become frustrated. And when I hang up it feels so empty. Is it just me feeling this?
(It is "funny" how difficult some things can be for me whereas other people can do the same things almost automatically, it makes me wonder.)

G

Greg84

My social anxiety hasn't disappeared. It's 30 + years and back with a vengeance. 😔
If I may ask you, has it improven something? I am no expert, but if I may speculate, does long term social anxiety mean that two or more diagnosis are in play? Like Social anxiety + asperger for example? Or Social anxiety + PTSD? I am wondering because most CBT therapy programs for social anxiety are for a couple of months...so I can not really make sense of this.

Karmaman

Karmaman

It could be I don't know. Childhood/family life wasn't easy but I was outgoing with friends but looking back depression and anxiety was there. My teens were good with friends but not great at home which I left early. It was in my late teens and early twenties it really started to impact on my life but I didn't know what it was. I drank a lot to dampen it. I've been through a long course of CBT and short one and studied it myself. Try as I may it does not stop my social anxiety when it strikes hard.

G

Greg84

It could be I don't know. Childhood/family life wasn't easy but I was outgoing with friends but looking back depression and anxiety was there. My teens were good with friends but not great at home which I left early. It was in my late teens and early twenties it really started to impact on my life but I didn't know what it was. I drank a lot to dampen it. I've been through a long course of CBT and short one and studied it myself. Try as I may it does not stop my social anxiety when it strikes hard.
Thanks for sharing. It is difficult to find what's causing social anxiety and just removing it. It is like all senses are elevated for checking the environment for a threat. But in my mind, exposure, or over-exposure, should still be a way to feel less anxious in social situations becuase the elevated senses will with time be turned down when they never discover any real threat.

2Much2Feel

I am not sure how I view this virtual zoom thing...It is one kind of interaction, that's true, but it does not feel too real to me. To be honest, I do not enjoy virtual interactions so much for keeping me company, I get bored and become frustrated. And when I hang up it feels so empty. Is it just me feeling this?
(It is "funny" how difficult some things can be for me whereas other people can do the same things almost automatically, it makes me wonder.)
I feel the same way. I don't really take part in zoom things typically, just for therapy so I don't have to drive into the city. I do find that therapy for me has felt fine this way, but I do get your point. It's not the same typically at all as being in person w someone.

G

Greg84

I feel the same way. I don't really take part in zoom things typically, just for therapy so I don't have to drive into the city. I do find that therapy for me has felt fine this way, but I do get your point. It's not the same typically at all as being in person w someone.
Yeah, I mean zoom is great for information exchanges like therapy or work, but it does not do too much for me as a social exchange. In perticular when there are many people on the zoom at the same time I feel like they do fine without me I and I have to struggle to say something.